Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser
Availability: In stock
- New look, same great formula!
- Tough on blemishes but gentle on your skin
- Silky, refreshing gel
- Works quickly to remove makeup
- Contains an antibacterial agent
- Completely free of drying, irritating ingredients that make blemishes worse
- 100% fragrance and colorant-free
Review by Catharina
This is a very good gentle cleanser with an antimicrobial agent (triclosan) that will help clear acne. It does not irritate the skin, nor dry it. However, it is ineffective in cleansing the skin. It does not remove regular makeup or regular mascara. My face always comes out all smudged after using this. If I use a makeup remover or a toner afterwards, it will be dirty. I am aware that there is a trend going on about dual cleansing and completely cleaning your skin before cleaning your skin. To me, the more rubbing, the more irritating. I would like to know Paula's Choice opinion on this. For me, there are plenty of super efficient cleansers out there, some great ones within Paula's Choice range, that clean gently and efficiently in one step. My current preference goes for the Resist anti-aging foaming cleanser.
Answer customer service:
thank you for sharing your experience with us - we're sorry to hear this didn't work as expected for you! Please contact a member of our Customer Care team, who can assist you with a possible alternative.
(Posted on 11/05/2016)
Review by Tesni
Bought this product back in January, and am now getting towards the end of the bottle, using it daily, so value for money it's great.
I have combination, sensitive skin and suffer from rosaccea and mild acne. I always find it hard to find a product that will suit my 'complex' for want of a better word, skin, that won't cause it to a)flare up b)get red c)cause spots. This product is the best!
I dont' get spots from using it, my skin doesn't dry up as it's not harsh, the aloe vera found in it is great for soothing my skin. I use it with my face brush, with sensitive bristles and my skin has cleared up so much. I usually only use a tiny bit of the product on the bristles and it goes a long way with a little water. Will now be trying out the other products in this range!
Thanks! (Posted on 17/04/2016)
Review by Carol
- At the age of 45, I developed cystic acne. Nothing worked, not even the cream the doctor gave me. I've been using the Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser for just over 3 weeks now, and my acne has improved considerably. The large, red lumps under my skin are much smaller and fewer in number, and I don't feel so self-conscious. You don't need much to get it foaming and it's not drying out the rest of my skin. I ordered the trial size and I'm just about to order the full size! (Posted on 28/12/2015)
Review by Kristiina
- This cleanser, alongside a gentle face scrubbing cloth, BHA2% solution and SPF moisturizer has turned my skin from spotty to smooth. Just so you all know, my skin is normal/dry, and I have no skin conditions. None, but one, I used to get tiny little bumps all over my forehead. Not really acne, but the skin coloured and raised bumps would make my forehead look horrible in certain lighting. I have tried so many products before finding Paula`s Choice, that I thought that my clogged up pore problem would never be gone, that I would always have a horribly bubbly forehead. But this product, with the whole sample kit, has turned my skin around completely! It is now clear, smooth and lovely. I only get a few hormonal breakouts, and even they are gone after a few days. I can only praise the hard work put into this skincare routine, as I haven´t had to worry about my skin for a month now. My skin was turned around in a month. It takes time to work, but it works. I recommend at least trying the sample kit out, if you are struggling with mild acne or skin bumpiness. (Posted on 07/11/2015)
Review by Anne
I never suffered from particular bad skin (e.g. acne), but over the years I have developed several blackheads, breakouts and especially whiteheads (those annoying white dots on your cheek bones, chin and forehead that just never seem to go away no matter what). I would always pick in skin - and yes I know I definitely should not be doing that, but I just came to a point where scares were better than blemishes. I was so frustrated of my skin situation, so when I read about Paula's magic prodructs on a beauty blog, I thought this will be the end of my skin battle.
The product is really soft and gentle towards the skin which is great. The product is easy to apply on. I use it twice a day. In the morning and in the night. I have used the product for exactly 4 weeks where I at the same time have not picked in my skin at all (pretty proud). I really wanted to improve my skin, thus why I decided no picking at all no matter skin situation while trying out the product.
I do not if it is the product or simply because I have not picked in my skin, but the skin on my cheeks are definitely better. I always used to get blackheads on my cheeks, but I have not had a single on since I started to use the product. However, I still have many whiteheads on my chin which is so frustrating. I do not know how to get rid of them. Also, I have had a couple of break outs while using the product, and the one break out was really infected, why I got rid of it, but I actually expected the product to reduce my break outs and whiteheads, but unfortunately it have not.
But I will definitely continue to buy Paula's products. Perhaps it just takes longer than 4 weeks for my skin to improve in terms of break outs and whiteheads. Or maybe I will try some of their other products.
Overall happy, but still a bit frustrated since the product has not solved my major skin issue (whiteheads).
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. To address blackheads, breakouts and whiteheads, we recommend using a BHA exfoliant, if you are not allergic to aspirin of course. A cleanser removes debris, oil, and makeup and therefore allows other products to work better, but may not address the skin concerns you have mentioned. We are happy to recommend you some products that may help, please contact us by email. (Posted on 22/10/2015)
Review by Anna
- This product (with Clear extra strenght 2% Bha and ultra-light daily mattifying fluid) has been a miracle for me. My face suddenly broke out. There were huge whiteheads and little blackheads literally all over my face. Although I hated the situation I was lucky in a way because they never got infected. For months I tried many different products but nothing seemed to work. Some of them only made matters worse. In July I finally went to see a Dermatologist and he analysed it as comedo acne. In August I started using Paula`s products and little by little my face started to heal. Even though these products work like a charm they haven´t done anything for the blackheads on my nose (hence the 4 stars). Apparently those blackheads are here to stay. Thinking about trying next Resist anti-aging foaming cleanser. It might be a better solution for my face is starting to dry as winter is coming. (Posted on 03/10/2015)
Review by Anisa
- Have been using this for 2 years, started off with 3-4 spots breakout a month, now only get 1 every 2 month - if that. Thanks (Posted on 30/07/2015)
Review by Dawny
- I bought a small 30ml trial size of this cleanser. I have been using it without a problem. It is a clear, thickish liquid, which lathers up nicely. I don't know why, but I like my cleansers to lather! This feels nice on the skin too, soft and calming. I have a small wooden handled cleansing brush from Superdrug which has the softest bristles EVER, and this works it into my skin when I am wearing make up to help clean it off thoroughly. To be honest, I can't really comment on its effectiveness in normalising my pores - I have not used it consistently alone (I am also using the Resist Foaming Cleanser), but I feel it suits my skin and afterwards my face is matt, and I have not broken out with it. My slightly oily T-Zone is oil free after using it, but not tight feeling or dry. I do like this cleanser, and it IS the most reasonably priced, but I just personally prefer the benefits of some of PC's other cleansers. Great to try at £4.50 though! (Posted on 01/06/2015)
Review by Alzbeta
- I have terribly moody skin - my skin is supersensitive, it reacts to weather changes, cosmetic products and sometimes I get eczema even from clothes or detergent. At the same time I suffer from rosacea and dryness on my cheeks, yet I have oily nose and forehead. In past couple months I had severe acne on my chin, that had to be cured by antibiotics, and even after that some of the blemishes survived. This cleanser got me rid of them. It's the only cleanser from all that I have ever used (except from La Roche-Posay Tolerraine cleanser) that hasn't caused any burning sensation nor alergic reaction. My skin feels clean, soft and calm and all the blemishes are gone. What's more - since I started using this cleanser I haven't noticed any new blemishes, which is great! (Posted on 06/05/2015)
Review by Iman
- I have combination skin an get a lot of breakouts, but not so much since I have started using the Paula's Choice product! I have tried out so many different cleansers, and this is my absolute favourite! It leaves your skin so soft and does not dry out the skin. Amazing product! (Posted on 31/03/2015)
Review by Ebba
- I just bought a second one, I was one of those that jumped the cleansing balm bandwagon! But buying CLEANSERS (not leave-on product, but cleansers) for £35+ became too much! This cleanser is effective, not too damaging for my sensitive/oily skin, removes make-up well. Only reason why I am giving it a 4 instead of a 5 is that it can be a bit too drying for me - even if I have oily skin, I can find it too drying sometimes. But besides from that - I love this cleanser! (Posted on 28/02/2015)
Review by Lucy
I've been using Paula's Choice for a few weeks now and I'm amazed at the change in my skin. It looks better than it has done for years.
I have very mild comogenic acne and this cleanser is very gently whilst leaving my skin feeling very clean. I actually prefer the feel on my skin of the Paula's Choice Resist Foaming Cleanser, and I also think the Resist cleanser gets all the last bits of make-up off a bit more effectively that this one. So I generally use the Clear one in the morning to get the benefit of both; and I love that the Clear cleanser has a mild antibacterial agent in it. Its gel texture is still pleasant to use and a little goes a long way so its good value too. (Posted on 26/02/2015)
Review by Ad
This is my staple cleanser now and I am so relieved, happy and excited about Paula's Choice products. They have made a huge difference to my skin. My face feels so soft and smooth that I do not care so much about my acne scars anymore. They actually look softer and not as harsh as they used to.
This cleanser is gentle and it doesn't dry my skin out at all. Also, I only have to use a little. It sometimes stings my eyes- don't know why as it doesn't happen all the time- but overall, I'm very pleased and satisfied with the results.
Thank you PC! (Posted on 20/02/2015)
Review by Marianne
I have very oily skin with a tendency to break out, and nothing has ever worked before now. So what I have done is a bit of a combo. I use the the Clear cleanser to fight any possible breakouts, but otherwise have used products for oily skin.
My skin is now far less oily than it has ever been, and therefore no breakouts. In fact it's great. The mild approach to oily and blemish prone skin really works. And as I am allergic to benzoylperoxide, I am only to happy to do without.
I loved Paula's books when I lived in the States years ago, and I was thrilled when I discovered she had her own product line recently. (Posted on 03/02/2015)
Review by Mary
- I came across Paula's Choice after visiting a well- known make-up artist's website, who was recommending some of the products for her skin type, which sounded similar to mine;so, I decide to research the range myself. I'm soooo glad that I did!!! Having turned 50 this year, I have always "suffered"from an oily, problematic skin. I have spent LOADS of my hard- earned money on , I would say, every range out there, in my search for a skin care range that would make a difference to my skin. Paula's Choice, after 50 years of searching, is the ONLY range that has worked and, after reading Paula's website, I now know WHY the other ranges have not worked for me and that is in spite of all the "miracle-cure" claims that all the other very high-end premium, expensive ranges make. It's obviously the ingredients that have irritated my skin, exacerbating my oiliness; this includes high-end spa ranges that beauty salons use also. Paula's products have cleared up my acne on my chin and nose area, those horrible under-skin pimples. My pores are also cleaner and far less noticeable. Makeup hoes on so much smoother.My skin is smoother and clearer than it has ever been- and I'm talking since my teen years.the products are good value and last a good length of time. I use the pore normalising cleanser, balancing toner, exfoliated extra strength, mattifying daily moisturiser, light serum, and the daily moisturiser for oily skin. At first, I also followed Paula's advice and included a benzoyl peroxide product to clear up my skin. I was shocked and, more so, angry, after reading Paula's brand reviews, at the false claims that so many other brands make- how do they get away with it!!!? Thanks to Paula's Choice for their honesty. I now do not have to accept that my skin problems were purely "hormonal". My daughter, who is 28, is also now using the range. (Posted on 27/10/2014)
Review by Andrew
- Great cleanser for acne prone skin. Best I have used. Gentle but does the job, totally non irritating and clean rinsing. Does not dry out skin. The concept of using a gentle non irritating cleanser that leaves no residue and includes an effective anti-bacterial agent to knock down the acne on your skin twice a day works so well for my skin. Wish I had found it sooner! (Posted on 16/08/2014)
Review by Alannah
- I enjoy using this cleanser. First, I bought the trial size and then the full size. I would love a bigger size option for this and the resist cleanser. I find it suitable for my breakout prone dry skin, although if I'm wearing a face of makeup then I generally cleanse with a cleansing balm before using this. (Posted on 15/08/2014)
Review by Rhys
- First I found my hg moisturiser then I came across this and found my go to cleanser it's the first cleanser for spot prone skin that I have used that had not dried out my skin , made me breakout a week later . It leaves my skin feeling soft and clean and has helped to keep my face clear . Just a small ask paulas choice please please please bring out a extra large size . (Posted on 10/07/2014)
Review by Emilie
- I had really high hopes for this cleanser (as well as the whole CLEAR line of products) because of all the great reviews, but I was very disappointed after only a couple of days use. I have combination skin prone to breakouts, so this sounded like the ideal cleanser for my skin type. This cleanser in combination with the "CLEAR Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% Salicylic Acid" made my skin so dry and flaky. I started using the cleanser alone hoping that it would help my (at this point) dry and very sore skin, but unfortunately it didn't. The only reason that I give this cleanser two stars is because it's fairly good at removing make up - which is the only plus as far as I can see. I really wanted to love the products, but I don't think that I will be repurchasing after this experience. (Posted on 22/06/2014)
Review by Lisa
- This is the best cleanser I've ever used. It doesn't dry out my skin, it removes all my leftover makeup and I only need a small amount. (Posted on 24/05/2014)
Review by Maiken
I thought, that a cleanser did not have a such big difference!
I started using Paula's products - and bought the Skin Balancing oil reducing cleanser - together with the toner.
But it did not have any effect on my breakouts, so I bought a trial size of this cleanser. And what a difference!!
This cleanser is the best EVER!!
Not too hard on the skin, and yet it has a great effect on breakouts and acne prone skin! (Posted on 29/01/2014)
Review by Sarah
- After years of ineffective skin care routines for my oily, blackhead and blemish prone skin, which is now also aging skin (I'm 37 years old), Paula's choice has been a revelation! I don't wear heavy make-up, but with the exception of trace mascara this cleanser removes everything and is gentle enough that a second wash in the evening (if needed) doesn't dry out my skin or leave it irritated. I still have the occasional hormonal blackhead and blemish, but 3 months after starting use my skin is better than it has ever been and improving daily in clarity. In conjunction with the antiredness exfoliant solution and hydralight moisturiser I couldn't be happier with the results. (Posted on 29/08/2013)
Review by Jay
- Being a male in my late 20s. It's very annoying not only to have acne, not finding a way to get rid of it. I have combination of acne and oily skin (especially around t-zone), and this cleanser is the first cleanser i have used that actually has improved the complexion of my skin (2 weeks use needed before i saw a difference). I thought it would be like C***risil, but it's so much better and light in feeling when using it. You only need to use 5p size and the rub it on to a wet face. After washing your face just feels squeaky clean. I do however find the product slightly drying and face tight, but i do emphasise that it's very slight. This is balanced out by the toner and moisturiser i use (also by Paula.) Overall this isn't a miracle cure for acne, but it's an important step, and i will improve skin. I'd advice anyone to at least give the trial a go. (Posted on 04/07/2013)
Review by Kerry
- All i know is that i suffered with bad skin for about 20 years that was worse at the time of the month. This was recommended by a youtuber so i tried it. This has been 98% successful for me. I only suffer one spot on average at the wrong time of the month. It is so good i find i use it religiously because i dont want to go back to bad skin. I have been using this for five months now and have a clear face. I use this and the exfoliator at night. I use any other cleanser first to remove my make up then cleanse again with paulas choice and then the exfoliator. In the morning i use my everyday cleanser and it is enough to keep my skin clear. I use about a ten pence size amount and that is generous. If you use any more you are just wasting it. I am only on my second bottle as my first lasted four months so although the initial payout is alot of money, divide that amount by four and its quite reasonable considering the results obtained. (Posted on 22/06/2013)
Review by Laura
- I've been using this product along with CLEAR Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% Salicylic Acid for about a week now and I have already seen significant difference in my skin! In the winter my skin dries out and that worsens my acne. Moisturizing isn't enough and my skin breaks out very easily from too heavy moisturizers. Changing my cleanser to this one has made a big difference because this doesn't dry my skin at all. It is gentle and leaves my skin feeling absolutely clean. The amount of blemishes and blackheads has decreased and the dryness is in control. (Posted on 15/04/2013)
Review by deborah
- hi i have been using this to 2 weeks now and i have NO spots ,thats right NO spots, i have been using this with anti-redness exfoliating solution and the skin balancing daily mattifying lotion and i have had spots for 27 years ive been to the doc's and had creams and tables, i have used every product you can get at the chemists and they didnt help i truely cant belive i have found this product and it has worked so fast i still have marks on my skin where a had spots but i hope they will fade now that the spot have gone please try this product i dont think you can go wronge with it xxx (Posted on 17/03/2013)
Review by Zahid
- I really like this cleans your face brilliantly takes off everything but the most amazing part is when you exfoliate with a BHA product the next morning you see all your dead skin cells in the sink gross yes! but this cleanser does a amazing job. (Posted on 30/11/2012)
Review by Sandra Kumuduni
This cleanser is by far the best I've ever tried -and I have tried lots! It removes makeup and leaves the skin clean, soft and fresh. LOVE IT!
The CLEAR system has literally saved my acne-prone skin, and I couldn't be more exited. However, it took about two-three months before my skin got use to the BHA product, but then the results were just amazing. Thank you, Paula AND also customer service. They've been very helpful along the way, which I'm truly grateful for! (Posted on 29/10/2012)
Review by Åsa
- This removes everything exept a little of my mascara which is left under my eyes, but after the moisturizer I can remove that with a cotton pad. My skin has less acne, probably a result of using the aha and bha. I trust PC's product, everything else feels like cheating my skin. Customer Care : For removing (waterproof) mascara, stay put foundation and or stubborn lipstick we can recommend our Gentle Touch Make Up Remover. We will forward a sample. (Posted on 23/06/2012)
Review by Farhana
- This cleanser is so nice and gentle to use on my irritated acne prone skin. Its a clear gel, which slightly foams up and takes away all the grease without over drying the skin! I have even tried it on a full face off makeup with a electronic face brush from Olay and tested it with a wipe and toner and there wasn't a single trace of foundation or powder left. The only problem i have, is using it around my eye, even the slightest contact with my eyes makes it slightly sting, but its not as bad as some of the other face cleansers i have tried. I like that it is anti bacterial and gentle, to prepare my skin for some of the stronger acne medication i use on my face. (Posted on 14/06/2012)
Review by Martin
- Though without fragrance this cleanser smells nice, feels nice, rinses off nice, and I've found that it provides enough lubrication for me to use for shaving (unless I've been lazy and there's a lot to shave off). It's a bit boring, but, I don't think you can make cleansers fun, and if you did, that would probably not be any good for the skin at all. If I feel rich one day, I will probably use this one for my body, too, due to acne, but that's another story. (Posted on 17/04/2012)
Review by Mathilda
- I have used this for years and will never change to another cleanser! (Posted on 28/03/2012)
Review by Veronika
- A great cleanser! Removes all makeup without making my skin feel tight or dry! I can't say that this product alone makes wonders for my complexion but it's definetily better than any cleanser I have tryed before! (Posted on 29/12/2011)
Review by manni
- I was sceptical that this would be as good as other reviewers have said, but thank you to those who have bothered to write a review as it really did influence my decision to purchase this cleanser and the toner. I am very glad I did, these products work. I have had several lumpy red blotches under my chin/throat for months - they clear up only to reappear within days or one heals and two more arrive. Within 3 days of using this product every single lump has cleared up. AMAZING! My skin is fairly dry in places and I'm 39. This does not leave my skin feeling tight and has not dried out my skin. It has improved the overall texture. Thank you. Fabulous products. (Posted on 22/06/2011)
Review by Jo
I have suffered with acne since I was a teen and the CLEAR system from Paula's choice literally saved my skin! My acne was really bad with stress/hormones last year but these products have really worked and sorted my skin out. I still have spots but the skin around it glows and looks really healthy and keeps spots/blackheads under control.
The cleanser itself is really lightweight and gentle, you only need a small one penny sized amount (unless you have lots of makeup on - though this just aggrevates acne in my case). It cuts through the oil on your face leaving it feeling really balanced, yet not drying it out. The product doesnt have perfume in either which saves it from irritation.
I would definitely recommend this product to anyone suffering with acne, I would use the whole system as they are all required for different things. I tried to scrimp by not using the toner and moisturiser last month and ended up with a breakout after using other products so learn from my mistake! Also dont suffer in silence and see a doctor in conjunction with these products if you have acne - they can help too. (Posted on 21/06/2011)
Review by Jennifer
- This is a good straight forward cleanser that feels gentle yet is effective and importantly non-drying. I use this in conjunction with the toner and have really seen results like with no other products I have tried, and I have tried a few!! (Posted on 10/05/2011)
Review by Anne-Ce
I saw an article about Paula's book and decided to bought it when my daughter started to complain about acne. It changed the life of all the family. My daughter can't do without this cleanser combine with over the counter benzoyl peroxide 2.5%. Her spotty face has disappeared. When her brother started to spot one blemish on his face, he asked to have his own bottle !
(Posted on 17/11/2010)
Review by Victoria
- I love this product my skin has never looked better. I just wish all of your products came in a BIGGER size!! So that all of the products would last a little bit longer which in turn would save on the high costs of VAT. (Posted on 10/11/2010)
Review by Pep
- I have adult acne that comes and goes so I have tried a few products on the market over the years.I'm pleased with the Clear Normalizing Cleanser as it is dealing gently with my breakouts and it's not harsh at all.I like the fact that it's not leaving my skin dry either.Thank you Paula. The Shipping is quite expensive is the warehouse not based in Europe? . (Posted on 08/11/2010)
Review by Barbara
- Since I have been using this Clear cleanser in combination with the toner, even my beautician can see the difference. (Posted on 22/06/2010)
Review by Gill
I love this cleanser. In fact since I have started to use the Clear System I feel I have control over my skin. No more nasty breakouts on dry, dull skin. I can't say I don't ever get spots but they are no as inflamed and they are few and far in between. This cleanser removes my heavy eye makeup most the time and does not strip my skin of all its oils. My face just feels clean, not tight and begging for moisturiser like most cleansers leave me.
Would recommend to all. (Posted on 27/04/2010)
Review by snow
Thank you Paula for educating me about not using irritants on my problem skin. I have struggled with adult acne for 20 years and I have finally understood why over-the-counter and other irritants-containing products never worked for me.
This light-weight gel is a delight to use. Easy to rinse out and makes my skin soft and supple. I also use the CLEAR Extra Strength Targeted Blemish Relief Toner and Skin Balancing Moisture Gel in my routine, and within a week of use I can see a huge difference to my skin. My spots are healing and no new ones are appearing. For the first time in years I feel I have control over my skin. (Posted on 18/03/2010)
Review by Alice
- I am really impressed on how well this lightweight gel can clean even my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation without making my skin feel dry or irritated. Great product. I wish it came in a bigger size. (Posted on 09/12/2009)
Sources to support the claims made for Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser:
Biochemistry and Pharmacology, June 2007, pages 1,786-1,795; Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, June 2007, pages 124-135; Contact Dermatitis, June 2006, pages 303-312; British Journal of Dermatology, July 2005, pages 124-131; Skin Research and Technology, February 2005, pages 53–60; Dermatologic Therapy, January 2004, pages 16–25; European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, November 2003, pages 407-412; Cutis, December 2001, Supplemental, pages 12–19; and Skin Research and Technology, July 2001, pages 49–55.
The Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser contains triclosan, an ingredient Paula has mentioned isn't a good option for acne. Why did she include it?
Paula has said that triclosan as an antibacterial ingredient is not enough to fight acne, it takes other products to really make a difference. Recent research indicates that triclosan may play a stronger role than originally thought when it comes to anti-acne skin care. We have used triclosan in an amount that is effective as a first line of defense against acne-causing bacteria.
Aside from a cleanser with triclosan, a product containing salicylic acid and another containing benzoyl peroxide are the perfect combination for treating acne . Due to European Union Cosmetics Regulations the Paula’s Choice Clear- products that contain benzoyl peroxide (blemish fighters) are not available in the EU. A good alternative is Clear Daily Skin Clearing Treatmentwith Azelaic Acid.