Skin Balancing Cleanser
Availability: In stock
Refresh your normal to oily or combination skin with this light, cushiony cleanser which rinses easily.
- Removes all traces of makeup (including eye makeup)
- Leaves skin smooth and beautifully clean
- 100% fragrance- and colorant-free
Review by Justin
- I do like this, but I prefer the Resist alternative. Aside, this is great. It doesn't foam, it does clean and leave my skin feeling fresh and not tight or dry anywhere. The bottle is a big size and the price is good. I prefer the Resist one though which is similar but with a bit more of an anti-aging focus, but this cleaner is certainly good value, especially if you buy the bigger size. (Posted on 18/05/2015)
Review by Julie
- A perfect cleanser for my skin type (combination, oily, dry patches). It easily removes even waterproof makeup without irritating or drying out the skin. Love it! (Posted on 09/04/2015)
Review by Lucy
- The foam has a luxurious, satisfying quality to it - if I was younger I would use this all the time for my combination, blemish prone skin. But at 38 I prefer the benefits of the PC resist foaming cleanser which is very similar but a more complex formula. (Posted on 14/03/2015)
Review by Lara
- I have been using this cleanser for 3/4 weeks and so far I'm liking it. It takes off makeup pretty well, although you'll need separate makeup remover first for heavy duty eye makeup. It doesn't dry my skin out too much and seems to be doing well on my combination, and currently dehydrated skin. My skin is also sensitive and this cleanser isn't causing any problems. (Posted on 25/01/2015)
Review by Laura
- Wonderful cleanser!! dosen't leave my face dry or tight. I have combination skin, with a lot more breakouts before using PC products, and the combination of a good gentle cleanser mixed with other wonderful products have made my skin quite good. I also love to wash away excess eye makeup with this, after I removed it with a remover. so a wonderful cleanser, highly reccomend it!! (Posted on 02/01/2015)
Review by Maria
I had second thoughts on this product when I first started using it for it managed to get me a few huge deep and sore breakouts on my chin area and jaw line, almost to the point of stop using it but I did stick to it, hoping for it to work and it did! I had never suffered from breakouts, not even in my teens. It was rather scary, fortunately they completely cleared away. It has also been a successful redness control product for the last six weeks as well as the most gentle cleanser even if suffering from occasional Dermatitis Seborrheic, which I sometimes do. Now, it does not do a single thing on reducing my pores nor clearing blackheads or clogged pores, but lets honest, those are so stubborn that they need extra help.
This cleanser would deserve the 5 stars if it wasn't for its smell. Is a non scented product, which doesn't mean it's odour-free, it actually smells a bit weird and I haven't managed to overcome the fact that I wish it had a nicer smell, that odour lingers about the skin for a while. On the other hand, it is so effective, a small amount of this creamy, pearlescent cleanser and the skin remains squeaky clean with no residue whatsoever. I'm happy with my 473ml bottle that will last me for a great while. (Posted on 18/09/2014)
Review by Sean
- The first step in my beauty regime. A little goes a very long way with this product! A small pea size amount does my entire face and neck. This product will last for a lifetime if used properly, and totally worth it. Completely gentle to use on eyes. Reduces the amount on my skin significantly. Love this little gem! (Posted on 23/07/2014)
Review by Sabina
- I have my third bottle (473ml) and I´m so happy with it. I have combination/acne prone/sensitive skin. After using my face is clean, smooth, non-iritated and hydrated. I use this cleanser in autumn and winter, Hydralight Cleanser during summer. If only I could give it more stars:-) (Posted on 12/05/2014)
Review by Erica
- Have really enjoyed using this cleanser which leaves my face feeling clean but not tight. I have combination skin and it seems to leave it nicely unified. (Posted on 23/03/2014)
Review by Tònia
- I love this cleanser. It leaves your face perfectly clean without drying effects nor irritation. It's perfect for combination to oily skin. It's the best cleanser I ever tried. The only complaint is about packaging. It's not easy to serve exactly the amount you need and the plastic mechanist looks too much fragile. Even so, I'm very thankful with results: bye bye greasy irritated tight skin. (Posted on 16/01/2014)
Review by Hanna
- I like this cleanser a lot. Maybe in the winter my skin would need a more nourishing cleanser but that is another story. I like how it takes away all of my makeup but doesn't make my face all squeaky and dry. I like how it foams up and rinses clean really easily. I like that it has no fragrance added but it doesn't smell weird like some unscented products do. But, though, I don't really like the packaging. That is why I only gave it a 4. I think it could be a bit more user friendly. When it is getting emtier it is getting a bit hard to squeeze out the product. It is good that the bottle is sturdy and not flimsy but it is a little hard to handle it because of its sturdyness. Maybe a sgueezy tube would be better I think. But maybe it's just me who can't operate it properly :) But all in all, I like the product and that is the most important thing. And I have liked all of the PC products I have tried and I use a lot of them on a daily basis. Great Job! (Posted on 08/12/2013)
Review by Jirapa
I bought this product with the others as a set. The size is big and value.
Skin feel clean but not dry. Good feeling. To remove mascara or water proof cosmetics, may need to apply twice and use the cotton pads to wipe on the specific area. (Posted on 18/09/2013)
Review by me
- I have combination/oily skin with blackheads and issues with rosacea and eczema. Most cleansers leave my skin tight and red. This cleanser cleanses my skin thoroughly without leaving it dry or irritated, however it does sting my eyes and leave them slightly irritated. I find the Hydralight One Step Face Cleanser more gentle on my skin and eyes, but for me the Skin Balancing one is more effective in removing oil and eye make-up, so I use this one too. All in all, I think this is a wonderful cleanser and I would recommend it to anyone with normal to oily skin that is not overly sensitive. (Posted on 07/08/2013)
Review by Louise
- Everything you need in a cleanser, I have an oily T-zone and very dry cheeks/mouth and this is honestly the only product that doesn't cause problems. Lathers up very well, cleans everything including mascara and thick foundation off. The big bottle has lasted me 2 months so far, with over half left in the bottle! worth the extra money. Paula you are my God. (Posted on 14/04/2013)
Review by Monika
What's sodium hydroxide doing in new formula? Even Paula says this is an irritant. Shouldn't her cosmetic be without irritants?
Some info about sodium hydroxide: " Solutions as weak as .12% have shown to destruct healthy skin cells within one hour. It is classified as "expected to be toxic or harmful" and one or more animal studies show brain and nervous system, metabolic, and sense organ effects at very low doses and there are warnings regarding using this ingredient around the eyes or mouth..."
I would give the new formula 5 stars, but because of that I m giving it 1. Please put out this ingredient. I'm sure you can replace it with a better one.Customer Care : Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We will certainly pass along your feedback and suggestions to Paula! We would stress that Paula's Choice products are based on science and have research backing up the safety and efficacy of each ingreditent. Paula would not put anything in the product that has been proven to be harmful or detrimental to the skin. (Posted on 23/02/2013)
Review by Helen
- I used to use the Garnier cleansers with BHA and god-knows what else, but after reading all the reviews about cleansers on this website I realised I was probably contributing to my own skin problems by using something I thought was helping me. I have been using this cleanser twice a day for two months now and my skin is looking so much better! I pretty much never get pimples on my face and neck now, although I had a period of 'purging' after I switched my whole regime to Paula's Choice. Now my skin looks better than it has in years. I cleanse twice a day, use the "Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion with SPF 15" in the morning and the "Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner" at night, followed up with "Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel" if I feel I want a bit more moisture. This is a very gentle cleanser and never leaves my skin feeling tight afterwards. (Posted on 12/11/2012)
Review by Anthony
I started off loving this cleanser. A silky lotion that foams whilst using it. After using it for just under two months, however, I don't feel the same way. This cleanser claims to reduce oil yet I feel it only exacerbates the problem as my nose is left slightly red after using it. I don't think my skin agrees with the lotion texture either and for someone who has large pores and blemish-prone skin, it really doesn't clean enough as my face feels dirty an hour after using it. Also, the amount of rubbish that's left on a cotton pad after toning leads me to think it just doesn't clean enough for me. I still get spots as well and this cleanser is supposed to be good for blemish-prone skin. I have ordered the CLEAR Normalizing Cleanser instead which has a gel texture and is targeted specifically at people with blemish-prone skin. It gets two stars as it's a Paula's Choice product so it will be properly formulated. It's just not for my skin.Customer Care : We are sorry to hear of your experience with this product. While this response is not typical, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients. it is designed to remove excess oils so it sounds like the product did just not agree with your skin. We do suggest trying a clear gel texture cleanser such as the CLEAR Normalizing Cleanser or HydraLight One Step Face Cleanser. Please contact customer care with any questions, we are happy to help.
(Posted on 16/08/2012)
Review by Brigitte
In the last 2 years I have tried and checked ingredients for houndreds of face cleansers. I was avoiding Paula's products just because of shipping cost (14eur).
My skin is oily and very sensitive. Products that ingredients were safe and good for my tipe of skin made me dry patches or they made my skin more oily.
Finally I order this cleanser - no stripping of my skin, no dry patches, no increasing of redness....
I am so thankful to Paula, she is really trying to do a change on beauty market (I feel she's the only one). And I am so ungry to other companies! Especially to pharmacies companies (Avene, La Roche Posay..) - shame on them!!! From first look their face cleansers for sensitive skin are ok. But checking every ingredient....well, or they have extremly drying ingredient or dangerous ingredients or even parfum?!
And this is not only for face cleansers, all beauty market is messed up. Through my researches I can only believe that they want us ill, they want to make us more problems, so that we can come again and buy more things, so that we become ill and they profit from us...
And then they say: It's fault of smoking, bad food, stress, polution...But they don't say that is fault of bad cosmetics!
I hope Paula will continue with her extremely good job and I hope she will stay strong if they willl try to corrupt her. I wish to meet her and shake her hand (unfortunately I don't think this will happen).
It's time for us to wake up! Time to check what we are buying. Time to buy only good things, and leave "poisons in bottles" aside. It's time for companies to provide us safe things or to shut down the business. People, wake up and don't trust them. Check ingredients, especially products for babies and kids - from what I have seen I can only feel pity for mothers buying these poisons!
Sorry for my bla bla :) This face cleanser is great and I will keep ordering it for a long time.
(Posted on 04/05/2012)
Review by Katarina
- Very foamy, small quantity needed and leaves skin feeling very clean. Removes most make up but not all of mascara. Maybe it is because I have always had scented products before and I am sensitive to smell, but the nonscented smell of this product, I find very unpleasant. Otherwise great. (Posted on 17/01/2012)
Review by Shannon
- Easily the best cleanser I've ever used. It's refreshing to experience the results promised on the packaging of a product. I have sensitive combination skin and love the way this cleanser feels and works. I do find that I need to cleanse twice to remove heavy foundation & eye make-up but that doesn't bother me. Other reviewers have mentioned the product doesn't dry out their skin, however, if I get distracted after cleansing & am delayed in continuing to tone & moisturise, I notice a slight tightness in my skin reminding me to complete my routine. (Posted on 03/08/2011)
Review by Rachel
- I have never been able to use wash off cleansers before , they always left my face feeling dry and always made my skin break out even more , but this cleanser has changed all that ! I love it !!! My skin is clean , clear and it doesnt leave my skin dry ! Its the perfect cleanser and i recommend it so highly i wouldnt use anything else ! (Posted on 28/07/2011)
Review by Peeter
- I have combination skin and this cleanser leaves my skin soft and clean without dry it. I absolutely recommend it and it has a good smell too. (Posted on 11/07/2011)
Review by Kent
- This silky cleanser does what it says on the tin: cleans thoroughly without drying out skin. It lathers into a rich foam which rinses off easily without that 'squeaky clean' feeling, just soft, supple skin. One bottle has lasted me over 4 months so it's great value too. I'm used to having the occasional spot, but these are few and far between now. Other have mentioned the smell - which I've never noticed. I don't miss having fragrance. This is frills, no hassle, and great for my skin. (Posted on 21/06/2011)
Review by Darla
- This cleanser (combined with the toner and exfoliant) have been great for my skin. Before trying Paula's products I had been through a number of other different ones which either dried my skin out or gave me some kind of other bad reaction. These products have really helped keep my spots at bay and I shall definitely be buying more of them. Thanks! (Posted on 26/04/2011)
Review by Daniel
I never thought in a million years that it was possible to use a cleanser without completely drying out your skin. Clearly, I was wrong!
Some people are complaining about the smell. You people must've never used fragrance free products before, this is what fragrance free smells like! (Posted on 15/12/2010)
Review by Martine
Bianca, I completely agree with you. This cleanser does wonders to my skin, but that smell... I read your review and I thought: that can't be that bad. So I ordered a sample and after using it once, I could't get myself to use it another time. But it's working for my skin very good!
So now I'm ordering the hydralight one step face cleanser, works just fine for my skin too.
(still 4 stars, the product on itself works good!) (Posted on 30/10/2010)
Review by netty
- I love this cleanser, great for my sensitive skin, washes off easily leaving no residue, skin feels supple and smooth (Posted on 19/09/2010)
Review by Bianca
I got this in the trial size, luckily. It does a great job cleaning my face and removing make up in one go. Also, it leaves my combination skin feeling lovely. However, I just cannot get past the smell of this product. I found it really irritating and will not purchase a full size because of it. What a pity!
Customer Care: What you smell is the scent of one or more of the ingredients used for the production of the Skin Balancing Cleanser. The smell of this product can be interpreted differently from one customer to the next based on their sensitivity level. (Posted on 20/07/2010)
Review by jenny
Before ordering paula's products (cleanser, toner, exfoliant en antioxidant-concentrate) i asked my beauty-specialist what type of skin i have. I also found much information from reading paula's american website (which has a lot of reviews!)
I'm very happy with all of the products. The cleanser works very well. Hardly leaves any traces of make-up. Also my face doesn't feel dry or flaky after using it. And...a little goes a long way! (Posted on 28/05/2010)
Review by Lada
It is a wonderful product. Easy removes all make up and leaves skin fresh, clean and soft.
It is also comforts the skin.
I will recommend it to anyone with sensitive normal to combination skin.
(Posted on 26/04/2010)
Review by Leonor
- I've been using the Skin Balancing Cleanser for four years and I just love it. Although it is formulated for combination/ oily skin, it doesn't leave my skin feeling dry. Another plus is the fact that a little amount goes a long way thus making it last a lot more than other facial cleansers I've tried before. (Posted on 29/05/2009)
Review by Hec
- This is my daily cleanser which cleans my skin without leaving skin greasy or dry. It really cleans perfectly without the need of a toner and prepares the skin for the next skincare product. Thanks a lot Paula!. (Posted on 19/05/2009)
Please note: If heavy or "stay-put" makeup is being removed, you may need to wash twice, use a washcloth, or use Paula's Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover to be sure makeup is completely removed.
Cleanser Advice: Never use very hot or very cold water on your face. It "shocks" the skin and can cause broken capillaries and irritation. Always make sure hands are clean prior to washing your face.
Wet washcloths are a prime spot for bacteria to grow and can be rough on sensitive skin so it is best to just splash your face with water rather than using a washcloth. For some makeup wearers you may have to go over the face twice with the cleanser. However, if you're trying to remove stubborn makeup, especially matte finish or stay put types, it is essential to use a washcloth (a clean one every time) to be sure you're getting it all off.
After cleansing, dry gently by dabbing with a soft towel. You can then follow with a Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner or the appropriate Paula's Choice specialty product.
Biochemistry and Pharmacology, June 2007, pages 1,786-1,795; Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, June 2007, pages 124-135; Contact Dermatitis, June 2006, pages 303-312; Skin Research and Technology, February 2005, pages 53–60; Dermatologic Therapy, January 2004, pages 16–25; Cutis, December 2001, Supplemental, pages 12–19; Skin Research and Technology, July 2001, pages 49–55; and Contact Dermatitis, June 1999, pages 310–315.
Skin Balancing Cleanser cleanses skin every bit as well as both One Step Face Cleansers, but uses a different ingredient composition to do so. The One Step Cleansers do not foam or lather, but Skin Balancing Cleanser does, albeit mildly. Many customers prefer this type of lathering cleanser, even though the lather itself has no effect on the cleansing itself.
I have oily skin. Which cleanser should I use?
It all depends on personal preference. If you prefer a super-light, clean-rinsing gel cleanser, the One Step Face Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin is ideal. If you prefer a creamier cleanser that foams yet rinses completely with no residue, Skin Balancing Cleanser is ideal.
Will Skin Balancing Cleanser leave my skin feeling dry & taut?
No. Skin Balancing Cleanser was carefully formulated to cleanse the skin thoroughly and remove makeup without stripping or drying the skin.
Do I still need to use an eye makeup remover?
Only if you are wearing waterproof mascara or waterproof makeup. Otherwise, this cleanser is effective at gently removing all other types of eye makeup.