Resist Anti-Aging Retinol Serum
Skin Type: All Skin Types
Concern: Acne-prone | Anti-Aging | Breakouts | Rosacea-prone | Wrinkles
Full product name: Resist Anti-Aging Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum
Size: 30 ml
Availability: In stock
- Works immediately and long term to improve multiple signs of aging
- Unique blend of highly stabilized retinol, the gold standard dermatologists agree reduces wrinkles, as well as potent antioxidants to help repair and heal skin.
- Stimulates healthy collagen production for firmer skin
- Improves skin tone and texture so you’ll see a smooth, radiant glow
- Can be worn under or over moisturizer, underneath sunscreen, and some foundations
- Proven anti-irritants reduce redness and soothe sensitive skin
- Helps fade red marks from past breakouts
- Enhances makeup application by making skin’s surface extremely smooth
- 100% fragrance- and colorant-free
prices are including VAT
Review by Amanda
I bought the trial size of this and love the packaging, makes even a trial size product feel luxurious. This stuff is really, really greasy with a little going an extremely long way! However, once you get it on it does sink in which amazes me, given how greasy it first appears. The blurb on the trial size product says that you could use this under some makeup...I'm gonna say...NO WAY! Although this sinks in and I actually love this product, there is NO WAY I would use this either under makeup or even during the day.
I mix this with either the 1% retinol or the Resist Anti-Aging Intensive Repair Cream, as part of my night time routine and it certainly helps prevent retinol side effects and makes the repair cream go even further. I use 5 PC products with retinol in and my under eye area has been transformed, my dark circles are much lighter, eye bags reduced and fine lines gone, my husband has even noticed and I don't have to use a whole bunch or products to cover everything up anymore! However, I don't know which product is responsible or whether it's the combination effect and if so, which combination so I'll just have to say it's the retinol effect! (Posted on 29/07/2016)
Review by Paul
Adding this to my nightly routine was the best decision I've made in quite some time. My skin is looking and feeling smoother, and my dry, reddened and flaky skin has been have been dealt with - quick-sharp.
I've always had a kind of love / hate relationship with retinol in the past- either companies provided too little of the active ingredient to make a discernible difference, or too much which irritated my skin, and thus was clearly unable to handle. This Resist product is absolutely perfect in that regard (for my needs).
It has boosted my confidence by adding back this amazing ingredient into my daily routine, and I feel there has been almost a synergistic effect in all of these great ingredients working together - without the negative effects.
It feels a little greasy at first (I like to mix my product with my nightly Barrier repair Moisturiser & HA Booster) but it soon sinks in, leaving soft and glowing skin. I also have no irritation using this retinol serum after my BHA products, but you will need test the waters yourself. Absolutely 5 stars and highly recommended. (Posted on 09/03/2016)
Review by Crystal
I used this for 2 months, everyday. But does nothing for my skin!
This product does NOT do the following:
Improves skin tone and texture so you’ll see a smooth, radiant glow - if anything it has a negative reaction to my skin
Proven anti-irritants reduce redness and soothe sensitive skin - DOES NOT soothe my skin
Helps fade red marks from past breakouts - has NOT faded past breakouts!!!!
Enhances makeup application by making skin’s surface extremely smooth - LIES, LIES, LIES
Customer Care: Thank you for your review. If you need further assistance, please contact our customer care agents (Posted on 05/03/2016)
Review by Louise
I love this serum. It's my favourite of all the PC serums I've tried. Even though it has a good percentage of retinol it doesn't cause any irritation of my stupidly sensitive skin. I use it at night, as I prefer a product without retinol during the day. It has just the right amount of emoillents for me, so is fairly quickly absorbed and doesn't end up on the pillow, but leaves my skin super soft too.
I can't attest to the long term results yet, but so far it's earned its place as a staple.The packaging is very easy on the eye, but I just hope the pump holds up over time. Just an aside - more frequent free P+P would be very welcome. (Posted on 21/02/2016)
Review by Rosana
- I just want to say this a fantastic product, the best on the market. I'm so impressed with the prompt customer services and the way a issue was handled. Thanks for your patience and answering thousands of questions. You people are the best. (Posted on 15/02/2016)
Review by AD
I absolutely love this serum. I cannot do without it. My skin is clear and so soft and smooth. I know that it is a combined effort of all the PC products I use. This one makes my skin brighter and fades dark spots. I am glad I took my chances with PC as I had given up trying product after product for my skin. Thank you. You are a great team. I also want to mention how helpful the customer service team is. Prompt, polite and very helpful.
Customer Care: Thank you for your review and compliment. It's great to hear that this serum worked so well for you. We are always delighted to hear from our customers. (Posted on 08/12/2015)
Review by Alexandra
- This is one of my favourite products, my skin looked great when I was using it. I stopped when I got pregnant and I am not using it yet, because I am breastfeeding, but I can't find a serum or moisturizer that does such a good job on my skin as this one. I will definetely re-use when possible. (Posted on 03/12/2015)
Review by Katrin
- Really impressed after sampling bha 2% liquid and this Retinol serum for a few nights, clear moisturised skin, sorted out my mild stress-acne, fine lines and skin looks much more even. This combo is definitely a future full-size purchase, bha 2% and Retinol are must-buy for everyone, who battles sun-spots, break-outs and fine lines all together. I found this very easy to use, no irritation whatsoever, although my skin is quite sensitive otherwise. Previously, I haven't been able to use retinol products from other brands more than 2 nights in a row, usually I've used every other, or every third night as skin has become flaky and slightly reddish. This is normal, and I don't mind alternating, or layering natural oils underneath as I know our skin has to get used to Retinol, but this serum is dream to use, everynight serum. The only mild con for me personally is that it has quite silicone-rich texture, but apart from this - Excellent! (Posted on 01/11/2015)
Review by Happy
- this is a pretty good product but somehow silicone feels uncomfortable even if no damage and my skin greasy. In addition, keep in mind to mix the product before use. (Posted on 18/09/2015)
Review by Benjamin
A combination of this product and your 2% bha liquid has left my break out and blemish prone skin flawlylu , For the first time in 15 years. Wonderful products and impeccable customer service. Thank you
Customer Care: Thank you for the review and the kind words. We are always happy to hear when our products make a difference! (Posted on 14/07/2015)
Review by Eunyoung
- Surprisingly hydrating and calming on the skin. Only used it once from a sample and perhaps a longer use is needed to see any results but feels nice on the skin, especially as part of night time skin care as this is oily, sticky consistency. Could use it around the eyes as well. Hydrating and moisturising enough by itself that I didn't use any moisture to follow up after. (Posted on 01/06/2015)
Review by Marlene
- I love this serum. I use it on alternate nights (I use the Paulas Choice 1% Retinol cream on the other nights) following this serum with the Resist Barrier Moisturiser with Retinol and for me it's perfect. It's a lovely consistency which soaks into the skin almost immediately and my skin feels soft and smooth straight away. Using this serum with the Resist Barrier Moisturiser, I go to bed with lovely feeling skin which does not feel greasy and my skin looks and feels great when I wake the next morning. My skin has never looked so good and this is yet another one of the fantastic Paula's Choice skincare products I will not be giving up! (Posted on 29/05/2015)
Review by Dawny
- My skin is combination, prone to breakouts and doesn't like many products. Moisturisers and other similar skin care products are initially absorbed only for them to be pushed back out and to sit like an oil slick on my face! So to find ONE serum that does good, is absorbed and stays put - never mind THREE - all from Paula's Choice, has amazed me. I love the SKIN BALANCING serum, the SKIN RECOVERY serum is great as an occasional treat, and I thought this would be the same. But shockingly, this Retinol serum is suitable for me everyday! It is now my go to serum. Initially I had tried the sample size 1% Clinical Retinol product, to try Retinol, and had followed strict instructions on how often to use it. I was pleased to get no adverse effects. So a Retinol serum seemed a good choice. This serum is thick, oily/greasy, and heavy. Everything my skin hates. And I thought it would be way too much for my skin. But like the red Skin Recovery serum, I was suprised to find that although it feels oily and greasy on initial application, if I leave it for a few minutes to sink in, it just disappears. I pull my hair back, and use this serum all over my face, including eye area, most days, after cleansing, toning and exfoliating with my other PC products. It does sink into my skin, leaving it feeling soft, and surprisingly ungreasy. At night I do not add a moisturiser as this serum leaves my skin feeling adequately moisturised. During the day I ALWAYS use one of my SPF moisturisers on top, either the SPF 30 or 50 one, depending on how much time I am outside. They sink in on top of all of my PC products, including this one, without a problem. I am so thrilled with my current Paula's Choice skincare routine, and have already seen positive changes in my skin. It is softer, smoother, almost T-Zone free, and I rarely get any spots any more! Thank you Paula :) (Posted on 23/05/2015)
Review by laura
- this is a fine product. my skin has of course changed after started using pc products. I'm quite young and have blemish prone skin, but it is a good product. I would maybe recommend it to more mature skin because this really soften and help I think. My mom absolutely loved this (Posted on 16/03/2015)
Review by G
I got a free 7ml sample with my order and loved it! It moisturises well and has made my skin much clearer. It didn't cause me any breakouts, so I can use it every night without any extra moisturizer (I have combination skin). I ordered a full size product straight away so that I can take smaller bottle with me on vacations. However, full size bottle pump was not working properly so I contacted customer service, who replied really fast and sent me a new bottle.
All Paula's Choice products I have tried are great and also BIG THANKS TO CUSTOMER SERVICE! I am very pleased. :) (Posted on 02/03/2015)
Review by Joseph
- I got the 7ml deluxe sample and loved it. If I had not been going to get the ultra light serum already would have grabbed the full size as well. (Posted on 31/12/2014)
Review by Monika
The only thing I can say is I really wish I would have found it sooner!
Thank you Paula's Choice for this and all other amazing products.
(Posted on 15/12/2014)
Review by Firefox7275
- One 1ml sample lasted three applications (face and decollette) so a little goes a long way. Greasy on application, but the volatile silicones evaporate off fairly quickly leaving silky skin. I haven't experienced any irritation or adverse reaction even used twice a day or on irritated skin after microneedling. I will not purchase the full size because I am not keen on silicone heavy products. (Posted on 02/11/2014)
Review by Hanna
I had the same experience as some here, breakouts and worse wrinkles around the eyes. I have succesfully used the skin balancing serum for a year which also contains retinol so I have no idea what's causing the reaction. Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your experience and discomfort. Although this is not a common response, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients. We thank you for also contacting us by email regarding your experience.
(Posted on 01/10/2014)
Review by Alegría Shiau
I've been using RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum for 3 years and it really does work and makes my skin healthy and radiant. I'll continue using it!
(Posted on 08/06/2014)
Review by EIRINI
- It changed very much the appearance of the nasolabial folds which were my thick wrinkles ( I have the nasolabial folds and the frown lines. This happened in 48 hours! The reason I didnt give 5 stars is because the eye area has shown a worse appearance I dont know why. I continue the treatment and I may come back with the results of longer use. I feel very happy that I bought this product because I never hoped that I could make those thick wrinkles look almost invisible. I believe this is a miracle product!!! I look younger in only 48 hours!!! ( I am 43 and I have combination skin). (Posted on 12/02/2014)
Review by luisa
- had the same reaction as some people here. Still managing the breakouts it cause me. I had big expectations but did not worked for me. (Posted on 31/01/2014)
Review by pogacem
- I've been trying to use this product for a couple of months now. Each time I apply it in the evenings, I get breakouts after 1-2 days. If I skip this product, the breakouts are disappearing. And coming back if I restart using the serum. (Posted on 21/01/2014)
Review by Alex
- I had received a deluxe sample for this, and before it was over I had order the full size. I am early thirties with oily combination skin, and I always suffered from mild acne. This product worked miracles for me. I did not experience any break out period that people say that happens with retinol. I have been using it for almost 3 months now, and my acne has complete gone and my skin tone has tremendously improved. Perhaps it is worth mentioning that I alternate with the 2% BHA gel. In summary, I would recommend to try this if you are interested in a retinol product. (Posted on 05/01/2014)
Review by Toni
Been using this only five nights and can see a visibly difference in my skin! My skin is more radiant ja clearer and pores and blemishes has vanished. The most amazing thing is with the lines, they are already less vissible and the hole skin is firmer.
I like that its emollient, so i dont need moisturizer after this.
At nights i use pore reducing toner/resist toner and 2 % bha and this serum, mornings use same toners and bha, resist light serum and the new skin balancing spf 30 moisturizer.
(Posted on 27/07/2013)
Review by Artemis
- A little goes a long way and it makes my skin soft and radiant - just like all the other Paula's products I use. I do believe this product has helped A LOT with wrinkles around my eyes and also my decolletage, which was beginning to show a crease - I can see that it's literally stopped it from happening. So big rave for the results. The caveat I referred to is that I think it can give me spots around my mouth and on the chin. I try to counteract this by using it every other evening and generally avoiding the sensitive area. (Posted on 22/03/2013)
Review by Susie
- This is a brilliant product which is very well packaged (for maintenance of the active ingredients as well as aesthetics). I have sensitive dry skin and rosacea and have found this to be absolutely excellent for my skin. It glides on smoothly and is quite quickly soaked up by the skin. I have been using PC products for years and have never had any problems with my skin (and most people think I look at least 10 years younger than I am - SPF 30 every day combined with antioxidant serum :-). Worth every penny! (Posted on 19/02/2013)
Review by Rochelle
- This really is an exceptional product, the improvement in my skin is very visible but best of all it feels wonderful. I have not been economical in my use of this product and use it twice daily now, I will definitely be reordering! (Posted on 10/10/2012)
Review by Hetty
- Sorry to say but my experience is exactly the same as Barbora.I tried it off and on for a few weeks but every time I had a very severe reaction. I am sure this was caused by the retinol. Customer Care : Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your experience with this product. Although the response you mentioned is not common with this product, we understand that each person will respond differently to ingredients and products. We suggest trying the RESIST Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum which does not contain retinol. (Posted on 10/09/2012)
Review by Barbora
I was very excited when this product came out. I really like Paulas Choice products, mostly my favourites are the cleanser and toner for dry skin, the resist toner is excellent, resist moisturizer and few others. I have used them while still living in the USA quite a lot and on and off last few years. Always come back to them even when I am tempted to try other brands. I bought 2 of these when they first came out that is how excited I was. Figured it would do a lot of work in one product and make it all more simple for me. The first few times I used it, my face was a bit sensitive but nothing major, figured it is just the first retinol experience and it will pass. I used it only every few days to start slower. However, within the first week I developed some huge cystic acne spots - did not even know what they were since I never experienced this before. I kept using the product, did not even put two and two together. Things got way worse. I finally had to stop using everything on my face to calm it down a bit and slowly tried to fix my skin again. Being a big fan of Paula and given the fact I had two of these products, not totally cheap either, I tried it again - and two more times in about 3 months gaps. The same thing every time - huge cystic acne that really hurt. Gave up.
I am only writing this review to let others know that maybe it would be good to test on small patch of skin first for few days before using on your whole face. Everybody has a different skin so it may not be a problem for everybody but my experience was very bad and quite painful...Customer Care : Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your experience with this product. While this response is not typical, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients. This along with everyday environmental factors can sometimes play a part in how someone will ultimately respond to a product or combination of products.. Please contact customer care with any questions. (Posted on 05/09/2012)
Review by Petra
- This is the most fantastic product I have ever used! I use it at night and then apply the hydrating mask on top - my skin has never looked so perfect (hydrated, even skin tone, wrinkles less visible). After reading all the reviews on the US website I was slightly concerned that it may be too strong for my skin as I usually react to even basic exfoliating products, AHA etc but no reaction sofar. I used to spend an absolute fortune on skincare and my skin never looked this good -so 10 out of 10 for value for money / consistency of serum and most importantly result. (Posted on 25/04/2012)
Review by Johanna
- I love everything about it. The packaging is really chique, the serum smells lovely and is easy to use. The best bit is that it works wonders. I have been using other Resist products for a while, so my skin already looked very good for its 49 years of age but this serum adds more benefits: It plumps the skin even more and makes it look yet younger. What more to ask for? It is difficult to determine when to order a new bottle as it is impossible to tell how much of the product is used up. I would hate to run out of it so next time I will order two at once. (Posted on 24/03/2012)
Review by Lisa
- I was already in love with the RESIST Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum, but this product combines the best features of it with the power of retinol. I use it every night, starting with the weekly resurfacing treatment, then the retinol serum. Wow, if feels so great on my skin, and the best part is that in the morning I wake up with hardly any wrinkles on my brow! It definitely has a tightening effect on my face. And after only a week of using it I can already see some improvements in my wrinkles. My 47 year old face loves it. I was using a retinol product before this, but it used to irritate my skin so that I could only use it for a few days at a time then needed to take a break, but I don't have that with the resist retinol serum. The only problem is that I have other expensive night creams in my bathroom that I should use up, but every night I can't bear to put anything else but Paula's Choice serum on my face! Please never stop making this and thanks for keeping the price so reasonable. (Posted on 08/03/2012)
How should this product be used?Smooth a few drops onto your face, neck, and eye area before moisturizing (or use alone). For daytime, follow with a product rated SPF 15 or greater. If alternating with Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum, we recommend applying the Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum at night, after cleansing, toning, and exfoliating with the Paula’s Choice products suitable for your skin type and concerns.
What makes this product unique?Paula’s Choice Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum is an exclusive formula that utilizes a proprietary blend of highly stabilized retinol, potent antioxidants, and skin-repairing ingredients. Its soothing, silky texture goes to work immediately to help skin of any age look and act younger. With ongoing use, you will see fewer wrinkles, smoother skin, and improved skin tone. This product is 100% fragrance- and colorant-free.
Who is this product for?Anyone concerned with improving the appearance of aging skin and helping sun-damaged skin repair itself so it functions in a younger, healthier manner. Ideal for use with Paula’s Choice Resist line of anti-aging products. May be alternated with our best-selling Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum.
Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent/suspending agent), Dimethiconol (silicone slip agent/suspending agent), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Dicaprylyl Carbonate (emollient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing ingredient), Phenyl Trimethicone (silicone slip agent), Squalane (emollient), Bisabolol (anti-irritanting agent), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Retinol (antioxidant/cell-communicating ingredient), Tocotrienols (vitamin E-based antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Laminaria Ochroleuca (Kelp) Extract (anti-irritant), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Oil (anti-irritant), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (skin-repairing ingredient), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate (licorice-derived anti-irritant), Hexylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).
Sources to support the claims made for Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum:
Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, September 2011, ePublication; Experimental Dermatology, July 2011, pages 572–576; Fitoterapia, March 2011, pages 208–211; Lipids, September 2010, pages 833–841; Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, January-February 2010, pages 35–43; The Journal of Dermatological Treatment, May 2009, pages 276–281; Journal of the Indian Medical Association, April 2009, pages 219–222; American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, June 2008, pages 369–381; International Journal of Cosmetic Science, June 2008, pages 175–182; Journal of Dermatological Science, May 2008, pages 99–107; Archives of Dermatology, May 2007, pages 606–612; and Clinical Interventions in Aging, April 2006, pages 327-348.
Is Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum better than the other Paula’s Choice serums?Not better, just different. Think of it like broccoli and carrots: both are good for you but provide different nutritional benefits your body needs to be healthy. Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum was formulated with a greater amount of retinol to provide a higher degree of wrinkle repair – but all Paula’s Choice serums contain an array of ingredients proven to help repair wrinkles and other signs of aging.
Can I use two Paula’s Choice products with retinol, such as Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer with Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum?Yes, this is fine; however, if you noticed that applying such products at the same time causes signs of irritation (such as redness or flaking) it would be best to apply one in the morning and the other at night, or consider switching to Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum, which is retinol-free.
Can I use Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum with my prescription retinoid product?Yes, but generally speaking, you don’t necessarily need to use retinol and a prescription retinoid. Many will do fine with one or the other, or you can apply the prescription retinoid at night and apply the retinol product during the day, always being sure to protect your skin with a product rated SPF 25 or greater. Keep in mind that using multiple retinoid products increases the risk of irritation, which is never the goal. With retinoids, more is not automatically better!
Can I apply Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum with a product medicated with benzoyl peroxide?Yes. For best results, apply the benzoyl peroxide product to breakout-prone areas, allow to dry, then follow with Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum. Note that benzoyl peroxide should not be applied at the same time as the prescription retinoid retinoic acid, as it renders this active ingredient ineffective. It does not appear to have this same effect on retinol.
Can I layer Paula’s Choice serums? Do I need to do this?
Yes, you can and it does not matter which serum is applied first. Experiment to see which order of serum application works best for you.
No, you do not need to layer serums as every Paula’s Choice serum treats skin to an array of brilliant ingredients. But for those who desire to apply more than one of our serums at the same time, it is fine to do this after cleansing, toning, and exfoliating. Because layering two serums plus your daytime moisturizer may feel too heavy under makeup, we recommend those who wish to layer our serums do so at night.
I keep depressing the pump, but no product is coming out.
The pump is not broken as you might think, but it is a so called airless pump. This product is packaged in an airless pump dispenser which utilizes a vacuum system to dispense and keep the contents fresh. Airless packaging helps to keep air and contaminates out of the product, which enhances the formula's stability and effectiveness.
When using your product for the first time, you may need to "prime" the dispenser. To prime, simply pump the dispenser slowly about 10-15 times. If the dispenser stops working at any time, simply repeat the "priming" step. Do not attempt to dismantle the package.
We kindly request you to please try again. If the pump still isn’t working please contact us.