Skin Type: Normal Skin
Concern: Acne-prone | Blackheads | Breakouts
Full product name: Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish with Microsponge® Technology
Regular Price: €27.90
Special Price: €23.72
Size: 30 ml
Availability: In stock
- New look, same great formula!
- Clinically proven to keep skin perfectly matte for at least 6 hours.
- Unique MICROSPONGE® Technology keeps oily shine in check.
- Minimizes the appearance of pores.
- Leaves a silky-soft, powder-like finish.
- Smoothes minor skin imperfections.
- Increases makeup’s staying power.
- 100% fragrance- and colorant-free
prices are including VAT
Regular Price: €27.90
Special Price: €23.72
Review by Marianne
I just love this product and wouldn't travel without it. I had a real tendency to shine, especially after a while, and this product just keeps me matte, in all types of weather. I did what another PC user recommnded, used a make-up sponge and dapped it on and then give it a minute to set, which is what I believe makes all the difference with the Shine Stopper working or not. I even found the method worked excellently if I needed to go out again in the evening, I could just add a bit on top of my make-up, and my make-up just stayed put and undisturbed.
Really, keeps me matte all day like nothing else has ever done, and so easy to touch up if I need to. Truly excellent! (Posted on 02/06/2016)
Review by magda
- Ive bought a sample size of the product. the problem for me is that it mixes up with my make up (yes I've let the product sit on my skin for a while before applying the other product). I've tried it both ways, shine stopper before foundation and shine stopper after my foundation. same result. the product mix sits in my pores and produces little dots where my pores are (nose, cheeks), it also crumbles up with my facial hair (tiny hair between eyebrows that i don't plug etc). i could go and use the product without foundation that would work fine, but in combination it simply doesn't work for me. is there anything else i could try? (Posted on 22/04/2016)
Review by Nadia
Best shine reducing product ever. I love Paulas choice skincare and this is fantastic. I suffer from large pores and shiny skin. Using this along with my Paulas Choice skincare routine has given me beautiful skin for the first time in my life. I have tried it both ways, under the make up and over it. It works ok over it especially when used with a make up sponge to apply. I much prefer using it as a primer over my moisturiser and under my mineral make up.
Thanks so so much Paula, once again!
(Posted on 29/09/2015)
Review by JessLupo
- I have almost criminally oily skin and have tried just about every oil control primer going. This is definitely the longest lasting I've tried. Usually I have to start blotting about 2 hours after I've applied makeup, and if a polished look is required into late afternoon then often a foundation touch up is required mid afternoon or after lunch. This product has kept my make up in place pretty much all day. I still have to blot, but far less than usual. I'm still getting used to applying it but it can leave my foundation looking a little powdery and flat, hopefully this will improve as I get better at putting it on. Applied at 8 a.m. and still looking human at 5 pm. Two minimal blots throughout the day. It doesn't feel as nice on my skin as primers used under foundation, but then it does last longer so maybe that's a small compromise. Will definitely re purchase. (Posted on 04/11/2014)
Review by Hussain
- This product is really good at keeping oil at bay, but remember to only use a small amount for the face, lasts a while as well. (Posted on 23/10/2014)
Review by Mo
- This is by far the best and most effective oil controlling product that I have EVER found. I have spent hundreds and hundreds on drug store and even high end brands such as Clinique and Dermalogica, however have always found myself disappointed with the results. This miracle of a product is now my HG skin mattifyer. Without it my skin will be oily, and I mean really oily within 1 hour. With it dabbed in to my skin, I can go for around 5 hours before I need to blot. Whilst that may not sound like that long, to me that is astonishing because nothing else can absorb or control my skins oils as much as this does. Thank you Paula's Choice! (Posted on 17/07/2014)
Review by Hector
- It really does what it promises. Nothing out there performs like this because this is the only and definitive one. It should be included within the ingredients of Paula's products for oily skin because it really keeps away oil and shine, leaving the skin with a silky look and feeling: And it lasts for almost whole day. This is a must. Holy science!. (Posted on 01/02/2014)
Review by Michaela
- I have combination skin with a very oily t-zone. Other similar products have at most given me 2-3 shine free hours - with this product I stay matte almost all day! I apply it around 7am and usually don't need to touch up with powder until around 5pm. This may not sound fantastic, but if you take in to comparison the oil spill that occurs on my face every day - it's a miracle worker! Definitely re-purchasing this product. (Posted on 26/08/2013)
Review by raluca
I have added the product into my chart, as I am extremely interested to buy it. Now, after reading some reviews I am pretty confused about how do I need to apply it, for getting the best results.
Customer Care: For best results follow these application tips:
Dispense a pea-sized amount and using clean fingers or a foundation sponge, dab (do not rub) lightly over oily areas as the last step of your skin-care routine or over your foundation. If you wish to apply powder or blush over Shine Stopper, let Shine Stopper set completely first. Reapply as needed.
(Posted on 07/11/2012)
Review by Artemis
- While I must say that I use foundation and powder appropriate for my combination skin over this, it is definitely the very best preparation for a shine-free complexion as far as I'm concerned. I live in Greece so the performance is tested very hard in the summer and I'm very happy with it. Will keep repurchasing! (Posted on 11/07/2012)
Review by Mathilda
- This is an amazing product and really works! Was a little sceptic before buying it but thought it would be worth a try and could nopt be happier! lasts all day and really does what its supposed to! (Posted on 28/03/2012)
Review by Hattie
- The best thing about this product is that it makes my pores look smaller and my skin generally more refined. It does not keep my skin shine free all day but then no products does. I would not be without this wonderful product. (Posted on 25/01/2012)
Review by Jaymay
I have normal combination skin with an oily patch on my chin - this didn't manage to keep me shine-free until I got to work (30 mins). I'll be trying the Smashbox product next.Customer Care : Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience.Please note that Paula's Choice also has a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee return policy within 30 days of purchase.
(Posted on 06/01/2012)
Review by Josephine
I was really looking forward to this product but what a disappointment! Maybe my forehead was shine-free for one hour.. I tried to apply it in different ways but that didn't help. maybe its works better if you don't use make up..Cuztomer care : We apologize that this product has not completely met your expectations. We will be sure to share your feedback with Paula and her team.For the best results dab (do not rub) lightly over oily areas as the last step of your skin-care routine or over your foundation. If you wish to apply powder or blush over Shine Stopper, let Shine Stopper set completely first. Reapply as needed. Please know that we do offer a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.
(Posted on 27/12/2011)
Review by KI PEUM
- Well, this didnt keep my face shine free for six hours but it really does help to keep my face less shiny for couple of hours. I like the smooth and simple application of the product and it feels weightless with powder-like finish. Unfortunately, i do not know why but after 2nd application, redness, dryness and irritation occured around my eyelids and T-zone ares. :( Customer care! Is there any warning about this by using this product? I don't see any on the webpage. Customer Care response : We are sorry to hear about your experience. Although the response you mentioned is not common with this product, we understand that each person will respond differently to ingredients and products. Please contact our Customer care department for selecting an alternate product or for a refund within 30 days. (Posted on 20/12/2011)
Review by Ex-shiny skin
About anti-shine products...this one is truly the best product out there. It keeps my skin matte on the worst situation: at warm summer weather, with a spf 50 over my face. Despite of applying those shine makers, my face keeps matte for the whole rest of the day. It has made a more comfortable way to use my spf routine at summer. It even makes a better general appearance!. A must for oily skin or any other on summer time. Paula, you hit the target, again.
Btw, is there any problem if I blend it with my spf cream instead of applying it underneath? Customer care: We wouldn’t recommend doing this since it could possibly interact with the SPF. The best application method is to apply the Shine Stopper before the SPF, although you can pat a small amount on, after the SPF has absorbed into the skin (1-2 minutes.)
(Posted on 27/07/2011)
Review by Eric
- I've been using this stuff since its launch in January 2011, but I've waited a long time before leaving a feedback because I had a love/hate relationship with it. I have an oily skin with very oily areas (like my nose which is as shiny as a discoball about 2 hours after washing). This product has really good points : nice lighweight creamy consistency, leaves an invisible finish, blurs pores, does not dry skin (almost the most important point for my easily dehydrated skin) and controls oils for several hours (but no more than 3-4 hours when the weather is hot and humid). The bad points I noticed : the cream formula can leave streaks if massaged for too long, all powders do not cling well to it, can flake if I use too much (depending on how I apply it, I'll explain why later). I've used it several ways : with a flat top brush, a concealer/foundation brush, a taklon powder brush, a dual fiber brush and my fingers The best way to get a smooth finish was the concealer/foundation brush but I tend to use too much and it flaked when I applied powder. The best matte finisg was when I used my fingers, I used less product (and it did not flake anymore) but I needed to dab dab dab dab or I did not get a smooth surface. Then a Paula's fan said on PC's facebook page that she used a makeup sponge (I did not try this way)... what a difference !!! Since, I've used the Shine Stopper only with makeup sponges (either latex or non-latex) and the finish is flawless each time, with a smooth matte skinlike surface, no whitening effect, no more streaking, no more flaking :-) Thank you Paula for creating such a comfortable non-irritating and non-drying oil-aborber :-D (Posted on 27/07/2011)
Review by Johnny
All the other shine-free products out there in the market seem to suffer from one of two problems: products aimed at women often come off looking like foundation (not great for guys); and shine-erasers for men are often far too drying and contain alcohol which is likely to cause more problems than it will solve.
This product doesn't fall into either of those traps. It goes on smoothly, and while it does stop shine, it doesn't do it in an obviously powdery manner. At the same time, it's not at all drying or irritating.
My skin is usually very slick by the end of the day, and this seems to make it appear ruddy. But when I use this product, even though I still get a bit a shine, it's a lot less than usual. It works great under Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion, and unlike lots of other products, it doesn't cause me to break out. (Posted on 27/04/2011)
Review by mel
- this definitely didnt keep my face shine free for a minimum of six hours but it does help to keep my face less shiny. i liked the smooth and simple application of the product and it feels weightless when you put it on. i found this helped keep me less shiny but not completely shine free as my face still became oily as it always does during the day but just to a lesser extent (Posted on 04/04/2011)
How should this product be used?
Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish works best when used with a lightweight liquid or powder foundation that also has a matte finish.
Those with oily skin should use a mattifying daytime moisturizer with SPF or a foundation with sunscreen rated SPF 15 or greater.
May be applied over makeup after blotting excess oil, but this takes experimentation and practice.
Don’t wear makeup? No problem! If you have oily skin or oily areas, Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish may be used alone. The finish is invisible.
Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish is excellent for men struggling with shiny areas, including on the scalp.
For best results, wait for your exfoliant and/or toner to set/absorb before applying Shine Stopper.
If using with one of Paula’s Choice Antioxidant Concentrates, apply Shine Stopper after the serum.
For best results follow these application tips:
Dispense a pea-sized amount and using clean fingers or a foundation sponge, dab (do not rub) lightly over oily areas as the last step of your skin-care routine or over your foundation. If you wish to apply powder or blush over Shine Stopper, let Shine Stopper set completely first. Reapply as needed
What makes this product unique?
Paula’s Choice Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish is clinically proven to keep skin perfectly matte for at least 6 hours. Its unique MICROSPONGE® Technology works invisibly to keep oily shine in check while minimizing the appearance of pores. The luxurious formula dries to a silky-soft, powder-like finish that smoothes out minor skin imperfections – your makeup will look better and last longer than ever!
This product is 100% fragrance- and colorant-free.
Who is this product for?
Anyone with oily skin (or oily areas) who wants to maintain a fresh, matte complexion. Shine Stopper is perfect for blackhead- and blemish-prone skin; ideal for combination skin with an oily t-zone (forehead, nose, chin).
Aqua, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer (film-forming agent/absorbent polymer), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (thickener), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Cetearyl Alcohol (thickener), Glycerin (skin-identical agent), PEG-100 Stearate (thickener), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (thickener), Glyceryl Stearate (thickener), Myristyl Myristate (thickener), Ceteareth-20 (thickener), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Benzyl Alcohol (preservative), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).
Sources to support the claims made for Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish with Microsponge® Technology
International Journal of Cosmetic Science, Epublication, July 2010; Molecular Pharmaceutics, September–October 2009, pages 1,441–1,448; British Journal of Dermatology, November 2006, pages 890–894; and www.microsponge.com.
Is Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish a primer?
Yes, in the sense that it helps those with oily skin maintain control over excess surface oil while smoothing skin’s texture. These features help enhance makeup application and wear, so you'll see longer-lasting results and won't have to touch up frequently. For best results, make sure your foundation has a matte finish.
What exactly is Microsponge® Technology?
This proprietary technology works instantly and over time to help absorb and trap excess oil as it reaches your skin’s surface. Much like a sponge absorbs moisture, Microsponge uses special porous polymers that not only absorb excess oil but also leave your skin feeling powdery smooth and fresh. Think of this technology as millions of spherical sponges working to keep your oily skin looking beautifully refined and perfectly matte without dryness or dullness.
Where does all of the excess oil go?
Once absorbed via the Microsponge® Technology, the excess oil remains trapped inside the unique polymers until they’ve reached their capacity to trap oil. Once this happens, you’ll begin seeing excess shine on your skin; however, most will find that the technology built into Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish keeps excess oil (shine) in check for several hours. When you cleanse your face, the polymers holding the excess oil are simply washed away!
Does Microsponge® Technology involve the use of nanoparticles?
No, this technology was made possible without the use of nanoparticles.