Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel
Availability: In stock
Skin looks and feels smooth, soft, and even-toned after it is treated with this ultra-light, water-based gel. Its fast-absorbing formula contains 2% salicylic acid (BHA) for combating blemishes and resistant blackheads. Supplemented with antioxidants and soothing anti-irritants, it also fortifies skin while improving minor redness and irritation.
- Exfoliates the skin's surface and inside the pore lining where clogged pores occur
- Excellent for all skin types, especially normal to oily skin with stubborn blemishes and blackheads
- 100% fragrance and colorant-free
Please note: When using a BHA product make sure you use a sunscreen during the dayPlease note: Those allergic to aspirin (acetylsalicylate) should not use products containing salicylic acid (BHA).
Review by emily
i actually bought this almost a year ago, but only now have had the good sense to start using it daily (up until now i only used it about once every week or two).
i have combination skin with an oily t-zone and dry patches on my cheeks and hair line. ive always had pretty enlarged and dirty looking pores (i blame genetics) and ive tried all sorts of things to get rid of them: pore strips (which im pretty convinced might help but i dont like the idea of them also ripping out all the small hairs, it seems like it must be kinda harsh on the skin too), scrubbing my skin daily (which dries it out too much) and using deep cleansing gel cleansers (which also dry out and sensitize my skin). the best i had settled for lately had been using a clay mask every three days or so, although it would always make my skin look fresh for that day, and by the next morning my pores would be "dark" again.
but now that ive started regularly using the bha gel... i was so surprised. after just three days my skin started looking different and at first i couldnt figure out what it was, until one evening i looked closer in the mirror and noticed that i could barely see my pores, they were so clean, the same color as the surrounding skin. and this is just after three days, so my hopes are high that this product might actually help in the long run too.
im really happy and surprised seeing such good results in such short time, and i really recommend this to anyone who has trouble with enlarged pores. ive studied the subject quite a bit and have come across very convincing cases made for salicylic acid being one of the only effective remedies. i havent tested other salicylic acids apart from this one, but im very impressed with the results! (Posted on 04/10/2016)
Review by Alina
I'm 29 with combination skin type, it has became normal, since I switched to PC skincare 4 months ago, my whole skincare routine is all Paula's Choise now! This BHA gel I will never let go, it transformed my skin texture!
Other PC exfoliants are good too I'm sure, but this one is BRILLIANT! I like the gel BHA version because of a handy pump packaging and I think it is less wasteful and quicker to use, no need to soak up cotton pad with product. (Posted on 31/07/2016)
Review by Magda
Before I used this BHA gel, I have to admit my skin was in decent condition. I had the occasional acne problem, a lot of skin texture (bumpy) but no blackheads or enlarged pores. I didn't have bad skin so I didn't have great expectations from a BHA exfoliant. After trying just one sample... I am in awe. I never thought my skin could become so smooth, poreless, without any bumps, texture, simply breathtaking! I have never in my life seen skin like this, it looks better than with foundation on. It looks better now in my 30s than ever before in my life, no joke. I am so happy. If I could attach a photo for everyone to see, I would. Definitely recommend this if you can't tolerate the BHA liquid like me. I am ordering the full size asap.
Thank you Paula's Choice!
Oh, also, best customer service ever, replies fast and incredibly helpful. (Posted on 07/07/2016)
Review by Zuzana
- This changed everything. First BHA product for me to try, but it really really helped with my comedones. Absolutely recommend! Also prefer this over the lotion consistency, it feels lighter on the skin and easier to spread around. Both are great tho. (Posted on 28/01/2016)
Review by Agata
I've never reviewed any of the cosmetics that I've used over the years, no matter how good or bad they were, but this one deserves it. I bought it through a Swedish online store as at the time I didn't know about the official European website.
I've been using this gel for 10 days now and it completely revolutionized my skin appearance. I have (or at least I thought I had) very oily skin with huge clogged pores and blackheads. I used to squeeze them out AT LEAST once a week, otherwise I'd look just awful. I did anyway because of all the redness and scars from squeezing...
After three days of using the gel I noticed much less shining, I suddenly didn't need to powder my face every two hours at school.
After a week I made an attempt to squeeze out those worst pores around my nose (always full of crap) and nothing came out. I inspected my face with help of a magnifying mirror and saw very few smaller blackheads, all the other ones were GONE!!!
10 day into the therapy and I already got rid of the biggest skin problem since high school (I'm 27). I have very few small blackheads that I only see in the magnifying mirror and which I'm sure will also be gone soon. I don't shine like the moon anymore and I can go through a day with one make up retouch, as opposed to one every two hours.
I'm amazed how easy it was and will surely continue using Paula's Choice products. Also recommend them to anyone I know! (Posted on 19/01/2016)
Review by Dami
- I have used Clinique for years, followed the 3 step process, bought the even tone serum/moisturiser with little effect on the way my skin looked. My skin is very oily and I am prone to spots during my period. I knew I could not keep spending large amounts of money on products that do not make a difference. So I went online checking reviews, blogs and whatever else came my way. I stumbled across Paula's choice. I thought I would it it a go. Best decision I ever made in regards to my skin. I was quite skeptical so I only purchased the BHA gel. Within 2 weeks the difference was clear, black heads disappeared, my skin appearance was totally clear. Spots do not even come my way anymore. Total game changer product. I definitely recommend to afrocaribbeans with oily skin. Paula's choice skin range for oily skin are now my go to products. Love, love, love. Many Thanks Paula (Posted on 23/11/2015)
Review by Leanne
Thank you Paula's choice. I will never be without this product. It has transformed my skin, no more hormonal breakouts, smoother texture and discolouration's slowly fading. Nothing works overnight so if you are buying this for that it will disappoint you, however if you are looking for consistent gradual improvement this is what you need. My skin produces less oil, is balanced and overall calmer.
Please do a bigger size! 200ml would be fab :) (Posted on 22/10/2015)
Review by Katy
- I love this product. It works brilliantly on my combination/break-out prone skin, clearing up breakouts with no dryness or irritation. Yes, it is a bit on the sticky side, but I only tend to use it at night time. For me, this is the single most brilliant skincare product ever!! (Posted on 11/09/2015)
Review by NightOwl
It took about a week of twice daily use and all the small bumps on my chin were gone and my skin looked completely clear.
This product is great for preventing spots, and if I do get them, dab some on and they reduce over night.
My skin is much less shiny as well and the makeup lasts longer without needing to be touched up.
(Posted on 22/06/2015)
Review by Philip S
My skin feels softer and the fine lines on my forehead are slightly less noticeable after using this. You can expect results fairly quickly, though I would say it takes a about a week to really see good results.
Can feel a bit sticky on skin when applied, but this disappears completely after a minute or so. It dries slow enough that you have plenty of time to spread it over your face which it does really well.
It has reduced my breakouts noticeably. It seams to work best when I use this twice a day. It caused maybe a very very slight irritation to my skin in the first week of use. But that has disapeared completely now.I'm overall very happy with this product. (Posted on 10/06/2015)
Review by Emily V
I'm afraid that my review will sound suspiciously like I'm from PC's advertising department, but this product is just amazing!
First, the situation:
I have combination/oily skin, and get pimples on my chin around that time of the month, and at times of stress. I rarely wear makeup, but when I do, my skin feels strained and dry when I wear it. Still, it's mostly manageable, and I don't bother with more than a good cleanser and a rich day/night creme. People think I'm 10 years younger than I am. I'm 38.
Now, recently I received some expensive foundation and bb creme as a gift (chanel and estee lauder), which irritated my skin and raised itchy small bumps all over my cheeks and jawline. Annoyed, I started deep cleansing--too much, I might add--and that in turn dried out my skin in the most horrifying way.
Imagine: my once normal to slightly shiny skin had turned into a crusty, flaky, dried out skin that was comparable to tree bark. I could have cried. This was a hopeless weekend, during which I imagined I was finally going to turn 20 years older overnight.
I ordered Paula's Choice online, after watching a very good/reliable beauty blogger, and when it arrived, was careful to not overdo it this time.
I patted on the exfoliant.
The gel feels sticky at first, but I used my fingertips to gently tap it in and let it sit before putting on SPF 15 moisturizer.
Later, after a run (and more SPF), I gently rubbed at my face in the shower. Old skin rubbed off under my fingers. Again, I was careful to pat more moisturizer into my skin.
It's only the second day, and my skin has never been so soft and moist. The dried up tree bark is mostly gone, new skin rose up from underneath, and my skin is soft and supple.
I'm planning on reducing it to 2-3/week once the terrible dryness completely passes, but this experience is an eye-opener. Do use whatever BHA or AHA that fits your condition. It's almost unbelievable how good this is. (Posted on 30/04/2015)
Review by Julie
- Great product. 1 pump per application is enough. Still need to add benzyl peroxide. (Posted on 09/04/2015)
Review by Fran
- I am 40 years old and I had a nodular acne breakout on my chin. I used benzoyl peroxide 5% together with this gel and my skin is clear. Now I use the gel only and I have not had new spots. BHA is great for spot prevention and I made it a part of my everyday's skin routine. I like the gel as it easy to apply but I also like the liquid and the lotion for my combination skin. I find the lotion to be mildest towards the skin as it seems to be shooting as well. The lotion is not greasy at all and it takes not time to dry. The gel and the liquid take some time to dry, approximately the same time. I find it useful to purchase different forms of BHA and use them according to the time of day and use or no of make up. I don't like gel under the make up but the liquid and the lotion are excellent for use under the make up. Thank you Paula for this great products. (Posted on 21/03/2015)
Review by Carola
- I read all the positive comments about this product and decided to give it a try. I have not really had any problems with breakouts but had a couple of blackheads and enlarged pores on my cheek area so I decided to give this a go. My face now has some "bumps" under the skin where I've used this product that now refuse to go away. I've stopped using this product for over a month now, but the bumps are still there. To top it all off, I now have red marks along my jawline and on my lower cheek where I assume this product reached, since I haven't had problems with breakouts before. I honestly don't know what to do now. Any help advice? P.S. I might add that I cleanse my skin every morning/night with the Paula's choice cleanser for combination skin, followed by the Paula's choice toner for diminishing pores, before I put this product on. Customer Care: Thank you for your review. While this response is not typical, we do understand that each customer is uniquely different in how they will respond to products or ingredients. This along with everyday environmental factors can sometimes play a part in how someone will ultimately respond to a product or combination of products. We will contact you to see how we can help you. (Posted on 25/11/2014)
Review by Aneta
After the first use my skin didn't look different but felt very soft and smooth. After two weeks of use the discoloration almost disappeared, the spots have almost gone and blackheads are shrinking. My face feels smooth, soft, even and any even cheap face cream goes over like a dream. It's a pleasure to look at myself in the mirror every morning.
I advise buying a gel because of the light texture on a combination skin and no need for a face cream. (Posted on 22/11/2014)
Review by stell_amour
- ... but works well, a very tolerable BHA product. It takes some time to fully soak into the skin and become dry enough not to feel so sticky, that's why I use it at night, followed by a rich moisturizer (in the morning I use the liquid version, followed by a sunscreen/moisturizer). I've been using a sample size of this for a couple of nights now, it makes my blemish scared skin soft and supple, and keeps the breakouts at bay. I'm combining it with other PC BHA products (Resist Weightless Body Treatment, on my face too). Long term results remain to be seen, but I'm very happy with it for now, fingers crossed. (Posted on 20/11/2014)
Review by Linda
- After reading a lot of positive reviews, I hoped this was the solution for the blackheads around my chin. I am using it now for 4 weeks in a row, 2 times a day, and don't see any difference at all. I ordered testers of other PC's products, and used it with the exfoliant so I was sure there was no other product to blame. I don't actually feel anything during and after application of the exfoliant, so I have the feeling this is not 'strong' enough for me. On the other side I don't know what else will be better/stronger...Customer Care: Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you haven't noticed better results yet. For very stubborn blackheads our Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant may be a better option. We will send you some samples of this product to try out and will also contact you to discuss your skin care routine. (Posted on 12/05/2014)
Review by Jenny
- I had heard a lot about BHAs and AHAs and finally decided to take the plunge. I have very oily skin with blackheads and occasional breakouts PLUS sun damage (I grew up in Florida), so I chose the BHA 2% gel. I noticed a difference after just two days! My skin was smoother and almost glowing, while my breakouts went away and my pores shrank. This gel does go on a little sticky, but you don't need a lot and it absorbs in 10-15 minutes, plus you can put powder over it once it's fully absorbed. I use this twice a day and it's safe to say I will be buying this for many years to come. Please don't ever discontinue this product! (Posted on 02/05/2014)
Review by Maiken
I'm so happy, that I found this exfoliant - and of course Paula's Choise!
I have had problems with breakouts on my chin, a few on my timbels and occationally 1 on my cheeks.
Now I have no breakouts on my cheeks and chin, and I have had a few very small ones in my timbels :)
My skin loves it, and I am sooooo happy:) (Posted on 25/04/2014)
Review by Sofia
I was really excited to try this because of all the good reviews and my problematic skin.
However, I have been using this for over two months now, and unfortunately I don't see any difference, except that my skin is a little dry - which is not a good thing.
I have some blemishes, but my big problem is blackheads on and around my nose. At first I thought it helped at little, but that was apparently just a coincidence (my skin normally has some ok/good days). The only reason I am giving the product 2 stars instead of 1 is that no other product has helped me either (with blackheads) so it might just be my skin.
In addition, I don't think it is suitable for using under make-up. It's too sticky and has a tendency to come off when blending the make-up (both mineral powder and liquid foundation) Customer Care: We are sorry to hear about your experience. We will contact you by email. (Posted on 08/04/2014)
Review by Amanda
- I've been using this product for around 4 days now and my skin has already improved quite a lot. My forehead is almost bump-free, my skin is feeling soft and smooth and my redness around my nose has been reduced a tad. I've even gotten compliments on how great my skin looks yesterday. I also love how you need such a little amount of product - trust me, i dont use more than around the size of a pea and its enough to cover my whole face! I love it, this bottle is probably going to last me a long time, which is definitely a good thing. So far has this product only been great and im looking forward to see if it's still working as well as it does now in a few more weeks/months - i definitely hope so.. :) Can recommend! (Posted on 23/03/2014)
Review by Kat
I have eczema, rosacea and am currently suffering from post partum skin issues that turned my sensitive dry skin into sensitive combination skin. I had lots of blackheads on my nose and chin, as well as lots of small bumps that never came to a head. I've been seeing a dermatologist, but the products she prescribed are too drying and slow to show results.
I have used acids in the past and my skin always reacted badly, so I was wary of using this product. I wish I had tried this sooner! Most of my blackheads are gone, and the bumps are slowly clearing up. The redness is starting to fade and my eczema patch is under control! This is after only 2 weeks of use every other night. I only use this at night because it's very sticky and shiny. I'm going to try the bha liquid next. (Posted on 10/03/2014)
Review by Kordian
- I am disappointed with Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant product. After 2 month use I have the same oily face skin and a lot of blackheads. I do not feel radiant face skin. (Posted on 03/03/2014)
Review by Sarah
- I just use this at night to unclog my pores from all the make-up and day products. It feels sticky but combines really well with RESIST Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator. Then in the morning my skin feels smoother and my complexion looks more consistent. I have open pores all over my cheek bones and already they seem to look smaller, but I will have to keep you posted to see if the exfoliant really makes a difference! (Posted on 15/01/2014)
Review by Hannah
- This exfoliant has done wonders for my skin, I cannot recommend it highly enough. You only need a small amount (I use 1 and a quarter pumps for whole face minus the eyes) and is very easy to apply. It's exfoliated my skin nicely after once daily application over a few weeks and has slighltly reduced the number of spots I'm getting. My only gripe with this product is I find it very shiny when on, even if I leave it to sink in a while, however this is only a minor thing as I only apply it at night so I'm not too bothered what the products make my face feel like, as long as they are doing it good which this is. (Posted on 18/11/2013)
Review by me
- This is a great product. It has visibly reduced redness on my congested combination skin, and is slowly helping me get rid of the thousands of blackheads that have stuck with me through the years. My skin felt better instantly after the first use, but transforming a seriously congested skin does take a long time, and I will have to use this daily for months to get where I want. Fortunately that's not a problem, since this is a lovely product to use. The gel is easy to spread and you need very little to cover the entire face. As with all gels, there is some slight stickiness for a minute or two, but after that my skin feels perfectly nice. I find this hydrating, but I usually like to follow with a moisturizer. In the summer, though, the BHA gel is sometimes enough. My favorite moisturizer, the Resist Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator, works great with the BHA gel, as does the Hydralight lotion. The only moisturizer I had problems with when combined with the BHA gel is the Skin Balancing gel. Applying the SB gel after the BHA gel resulted in irritation and an instantly flaky skin. This isn't an issue for me, though, since I prefer the other moisturizers anyway. I use this once or twice a day, and it hasn't irritated my skin at all. I first tried the lotion textures, but weirdly enough they were more irritating on my skin than the gel. The 2% lotion was also way too heavy for me. The 1% gel was nice but it wasn't potent enough for me, but this one is perfect! (Posted on 11/10/2013)
Review by Toni
Paula has the best AHA and BHA-products in the whole market. Absolutely no irritation, even if i just shaved,, When you use salicylic acid your skin will become worse after few weeks cause it purifies so deeply. After a month skin will be free of blemishes and my skin is not so oily anymore,
paulas toners are also best, i sometimes use them as a serum or moisturizer at night and skin recover toner is great for bodymoisturizer as well.
Paula should get more attention here in europe so people could have better skins and save some money also! (Posted on 06/06/2013)
Review by Maria
This is my favorite exfoliant.
(Posted on 13/05/2013)
Review by Charlie
- I ordered this and a toner hoping I would finally get rid of the stubborn blackheads on my nose and t-zone but unfortunately it did nothing for me, I'm a 19 year old male and I think I might need something stronger than this for my blackheads and red spots : Customer Care :Thank you for your feedback. We will be sure to share your comments with Paula and her Product Development Manager. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact customer care. We are always happy to help! (Posted on 03/05/2013)
Review by amberoo
I've been using this for about 3 weeks now, and have been really impressed with the improvement in my skin tone - it's softer, smoother, and blackheads are appearing reduced. I have very oily, acne-prone skin, and as such have learned not to expect miracles from products, but having tried most things and got into a bit of an expensive rut using dermalogica for the last couple of years, I fancied a change, and I'm glad I did!
I agree with other users in that this can leave skin looking a bit shiny and feeling quite tacky at first, but I've found that using a little less product, rubbing it in properly and following with agood moisturiser all help. I use it twice a day and would't want to be without it now - can't wait to see the results over time!
(Posted on 10/04/2013)
Review by Dinks
- I cannot express my delight at finally finding a product that takes care of my holy trinity of skin ailments (acne, ageing and eczema). I'm 37 so I want anti ageing but this caused break outs, when I used products to treat the breakouts this flared up my eczema, when I used a steroid cream for the eczema, this caused fine lines. This product is astonishing. Not only has it ELIMINATED my hormonal acne, my skin is radiant and my fine lines are gone. AND the biggest bonus, it doesn't flare up my ridiculously reactive skin. I only use it at night (I think twice a day might be pushing it with my sensitive skin) but I cannot praise this product enough. Paula's Choice has literally saved my skin! (Posted on 11/02/2013)
Review by Louise
I have really sensitive, really oily skin with dry cheeks. I get really sore spots on chin, cheeks, neck and even my chest that last 3 weeks at a time, and lots (and lots) of blackheads/clogged pores. Was just about to give up and go back to doctors for antibiotics when I tried this. I am so happy, within days my skin looked better! After a month it is completely different. I can wear no make up and feel lovely. My boyfriend keeps saying my skin is 'glowing' and my friends and family are noticing the difference. Even my brother is going to try this! I would say that you should just try it, you never know. My skin reacts to all sorts of things but luckily has been fine with this,I use it once or twice a day.
Thank you so much for the good advice on this website. (Posted on 08/02/2013)
Review by me :)
i wouldnt dream of going to sleep without this product on my face! i cant believe how much of a difference it has made to my skin. It goes on a little sticky but sinks in pretty quickly and hydrates my skin really well. i dont need to follow up with a moisturiser if i dont want to. i tried the 1% version with no success but this one has reduced my blemises by 90% and has improved the clarity and tone of my skin massively. also impressed with the amount of product you get and the controlled pump-- i never get too much! i use this daily with no irritation or sensitivity!
i would repurchace in a second! x (Posted on 24/11/2012)
Review by Berivan
I have been using this particular product for 2 days and I can already see a huge difference. I have blackheads particularly on my nose and chin, which are disappearing already!
I think within 1 week or so, my skin will be clear of blackheads and a lot clearer. Also I use small amounts of the gel, so this bottle will last me for a very long time!
I can just recommend this to anyone considering to purchase it. I am pretty impressed already! (Posted on 18/07/2012)
Review by Rich
Love the products from this range normally - and they've done wonders for my skin - so I have no doubts that this is an excellent exfoliant. For me personally however this product made me breakout severely; having read about BHAs beforehand I understood that a purging process wasn't unremarkable, but after 2 weeks daily use my skin had gone from having merely a few small pimples to my left cheek being completely covered in large whiteheads (not to mention areas of my face that had previously always been clear breaking out for the first time). I would have been willing to let the initial purge subside and continue usage of the product, but the spots were leaving behing pretty awful scarring. Will stick to the 8% AHA from now on (which is a fantastic and irritation-free solution for me).
Customer Care: We are sorry to hear about your experience. We will contact you by email. (Posted on 16/04/2012)
Review by Stephen
- This is a GREAT product.. makes your skin feel amazing... I have very stubborn blackheads and dry areas that feel uneven and horrible.. after using this product and it drys your skin feels like silk.. beware not to apply to often though!! (Posted on 11/03/2012)
Review by Barbara
This product is fantastic. I've been using it for years now and it is amazing. My only gripe is the new packaging - 100ml for 23.50? In my last 2 orders it was 118ml for 21.50 - what gives?
Customer Care : Thank you for your feedback.We do respect and value your concerns about product sizes and pricing.The price rise in 2012 of our products are a direct impact of various economic factors. The cost of transportation from US to Europe has gone up significantly due to security measures imposed on freight forwarders by the US Government. New EU regulations on skincare products impose additional obligations on companies selling skincare products & this in turn directly impacts the price. The main reasons some of the products have been put in new packaging is usually because we find more suitable containers that are either better at protecting the formula, are easier to use, or are better for the environment. Sometimes it is because the cost of producing the product has gone up significantly. In those cases, rather than raising prices and keeping the same size we have felt it makes more sense to make the container smaller which has the added benefit of helping the active ingredients stay stable. We can assure you that we at Paula's Choice Europe are extremely mindful of the concerns of our valued customers like yourself, and shall try to address it in the best possible way. (Posted on 31/01/2012)
Review by Joshua
This exfoliant is so good, it should be mandatory for everyone who has ever experienced blackheads, blemishes or even just surface oil. Within days of use, the visible difference to my skin was staggering. Having spent years using vile, irritating products to try and combat acne I lucked across this and Paula's other output. This BHA gel has virtually eliminated my blackheads, smoothed lines and uneven texture to a polished, glowing complexion of which I can now be proud. After months of use, I reccommend caution in the following matters:
- Resist the urge to apply more and more regularly, and respect the strength of this product. I have found I was over-using it to a degree which was actually causing more irritation and blemishes. I have since settled on applying every other day.
- Use of daily sunscreen is essential with this product. The mechanism by which it perfects your skin is eradicating the unsightly natural barrier of dead cells. (Posted on 25/09/2011)
Review by Megan
- I have been suffering from very bad cystic acne in the T-zone area and around my mouth for over two years. This product has literally saved my skin! I'm very glad I found Paula's Choice. After three weeks of using this product, my skin has cleared up, I don't get cystic acne anymore but only the occasional white spots. But this is a HUGE improvement for my skin! I still have acne scars but they fading away slowly and can be easily cover up with concealer. I used this product every night during the first week and found this to be too drying for my skin. My current routine is to use it every other day at night after cleansing only. I found this to be much gentler and still do the job. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who is suffering from acne. The only advice I can give is to use it accordingly to your own skin' needs, then watch the transformation! (Posted on 03/07/2011)
Review by jc
This product has changed my skin and simplified my skincare routine. I have oily/combination skin and used to get terrible spots as well as very painful cystic acne. Since I have used this exfoliant regularly I have had no more problems. I just cleanse, apply the lotion and follow with a light serum every night. With consistent use my skin problems disappeared within 5 months. After many years of painful blemishes I am just thrilled.
I really cannot praise this product highly enough.
(Posted on 02/12/2010)
Review by Alexander
- i agree that this i a great product, but i think it goes on to sticky, and leaves the skin too shiny, the texture and fell of the product is a bit like sirup. it does'nt really sink into skin that fast..my blackheads has not vanished, they are almost the same.Customer care: we thank you for your feedback. For more information about the treatment of blackheads please contact our customer service department. (Posted on 24/10/2010)
Review by Sonia
- Wonderful wonderful product!!! I have used both the lotion and the gel and my favourite is this one by far. I use it everyday and my skin keep its luminosity and glow, perfect for summer as well as for winter time, when my skin is dryer after this has sinked in I apply the super antioxidant serum mixed with the Moisture Boost Hydrating Treatment Cream on top. This has never irritated my skin and has gotten rid of the tiny blackheads I use to have, my skin is 100% clear now! In my opinion this is probably the best exfoliant money can buy. I have combo/dry skin for reference. (Posted on 02/09/2010)
Review by Jessica
Really impressed with this product. It's made a visible difference to the texture of my skin, which looks finer and smoother.
The gel is easy to apply, and a little goes a very long way. I only use it at night, with a serum on top, but as it leaves a slight film I would pick the liquid version if I wanted to apply it in the morning as well. (Posted on 19/08/2010)
Review by jane
- This is a good product. I have acne and rosacea and this has reduced my clogged pores as well as calming my rosacea, and the red rosacea bumps on my cheeks have completely gone. It feels slightly sticky on the skin which I don't really like so I might try the liquid next time, however a little of this goes a long way so I am sure it will be a while before I run out. (Posted on 19/06/2009)
Review by Dominique
I was amazed how smooth the skin feels when using the BHA products regularly.
Everyone has to find out oneself how often they should be used, for me once a day works perfectly well. I use the gel only in the evenings before applying a cream. (Posted on 17/06/2009)
To reduce skin flaking or possible irritation, some first-time users should use the BHA once a day or once every other day (preferably at night) for the first few weeks. After prolonged use (4-6 weeks), you can apply the BHA more frequently, and eventually it can be used twice a day. For some people it may only be necessary to use the BHA once a day or once every other day. The frequency of use for this BHA product completely depends on how your skin reacts so you may have to experiment until you find what works best for you. If redness, dryness, or irritation occurs, adjust frequency of application.
There are many options for how to use this type of product. You may have to experiment to figure out your best routine. The one you should use depends on what you are trying to achieve and what works best for your skin.
BHA is an essential step for battling blemishes or clogged pores. See the Skin Care Routines section for a recommended selection of products for your skin type. If your skin gets worse or rashes appear, discontinue use and refer to my Battle Plan for Blemishes page for other product options.
If dryness or slight irritation appears, do not give up, first decrease use to every other day or just once a day and you can still experience beautiful results.
Some people want to know if they can use a scrub while using BHA. Occasional use of a gentle scrub or a soft washcloth can be great for some skin types. Just be careful to gauge how your skin reacts before adding this once or twice a week step into your routine.
This product can also be used on the elbows, feet, or knees. It is a multi-purpose exfoliant that works almost anywhere!
If you have Rosacea:
We have received a lot of feedback from people with rosacea who are having a great deal of success with Paula's Choice BHA products. The reason for this may be due to BHA's relation to aspirin. Aspirin and BHA are both salicylates. Salicylates have anti-inflammatory properties. At the same time that BHA exfoliates the skin (removing the flaky skin problem associated with rosacea) it also calms down the redness!
Sources to support the claims made for Exfoliating 2% BHA Gel:
International Immunopharmacology, August 2009, pages 1,126–1,130; Contact Dermatitis, June 2006, pages 303-312; British Journal of Dermatology, July 2005, pages 124-131; Journal of Cosmetic Science, November-December 2004, pages 519-531; Archives of Internal Medicine, July 2002, pages 1531–1532; Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, volume 175, issue 1, pages 76–82; Preservatives for Cosmetics, 2006, by David Steinberg, Allured Publishing, pages 39-40; Pain, January 1996, pages 71–82; and Seminars in Dermatology, December 1990, pages 305–308.
AHA products are most effective at a 5% to 10% concentration and BHA at 1% to 2% concentration. Think about it like making bread, the amount of yeast you need is tiny in comparison to the amount of flour you use but equally important to get the results you want. The percentage of effectiveness varies depending on the ingredient. Rest assured that the BHA products are not any less effective due to lower concentrations of the exfoliant.
How does Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel compare to the 2% BHA Liquid?
The main difference lies with each product's texture. The 2% BHA Liquid has a toner-like consistency. The 2% BHA Gel features a water-light base. Both products are also appropriate for all skin types.
I currently use Paula's Choice 2% BHA Lotion. Should I switch to the 2% BHA Gel? Is it all right to use both?
It is entirely a matter of personal preference. It is completely acceptable to use more than one of our 2% BHA products, though use only one at a time. A typical regimen would be to apply the 2% BHA Gel in the morning under makeup and the 2% BHA Lotion in the evening.
I have tried Paula's Choice 2% BHA and 2% BHA Liquid and did not care for the texture. Will the 2% BHA Gel work for me?
Quite possibly, yes. It's worth trying because your skin may prefer the feel of a gel to a lotion or the slip of the liquid.